t w o

A/N
heyyy how y'all doin?

the sorting ceremony is the same as it is every year. it starts off with dumbledore preaching for inter-house unity, and ends with uncomfortable silence when kids are sorted into slytherin.

although i'm not a slytherin, i still empathize for them. it's completely unfair that there's prejudice against them, especially over things that they have no control over. it makes me sick thinking of what the young slytherins have to endure, all the beatings from other houses, stinging jinxes thrown their way in the hallway just over the colour of their tie.

i can remember the first time i ever saw blaise cry. it was second year, and i found him in a windowless cove. at first i didn't know it was him, i was just following the sound of pained sniffling. i found him hunched over in a corner, crying because a fifth year had attacked him after dinner, leaving him covered in hues of purple and blue.

i look over at the slytherin table at the thought of blaise, and i see him being as charismatic as ever, charming all the girls in a ten-foot radius. i smile, he's always loved attention. especially the attention of girls.

it seems as though the feast ends as quick as it once started, and our food vanishes with a 'pop', leaving all the first years at a loss for words. i love watching their reaction to the first time, it's like a kid on christmas, but amplified to the max.

"ms. tugwood-zabini?" i hear madame sprouts voice from behind my shoulder. i smile up at her as she hands me my schedule for this term.

i scan it over quickly, trying to commit as much of it to memory now before i inevitably lose it. ugh double potions with snape. snape is my least favourite professor, he's completely monotone and i don't even think he likes kids! jules has a conspiracy that he has some type of grease-charm on his hair, because no matter what day it is, there always seems to be an amount of grease so nasty that it makes salazar turn in his grave.

with the final words of the night, dumbledore sends the houses to their respective common rooms. i stand with jules to my right, we make our way to the hufflepuff common room. along the way, i can't help but notice the blond hair peaking out above everyone else's.

"did malfoy get taller or am i crazy?" i whisper to jules. she absolutely lives for gossiping.

"dude i was waiting for you to say something. he's gotta be what, like six foot one now?" she exclaims. it seems as though every year we come back, draco malfoy ends up sprouting up more than imaginable.

"merlin, i'm honestly quite scared of him, who needs to be that tall?" my whisper begins to raise, and jules motions for me to quiet down.

"oh rubbish you're not afraid of him, you're in love with him." she pouts her bottom lip, batting her long lashes at me. playfully, i smack her upside the head.

"okay fine, maybe in fourth year i developed a little crush on malfoy, but ever since he started being an utter ponce; i've given up! honestly!" she rolls her eyes and giggles quietly," and would you stop saying the word love? i'm gonna ban it in our dorm," i huff. we walk in a comfortable silence to our common room.

once we arrive we spot cedric standing by a potted plant, he motions for us to come over as he begins to water it.

"what ced?" i ask him as i admire the leave of this plant. they're such a gorgeous shade of green, so full of life.

"well," he trails off," bring me to your dorm and tell me what you were talking about earlier." he puts the watering can down and crosses his arms.

i glare at jules. i want absolutely no involvement in whatever plan she has.

"cedric you can't use that face," she whines as cedric gives us puppy dog eyes," it's not fair, you know pretty much every girl used to be in love with you," she stomps her foot jokingly, although i'm sure there must be some seriousness to it.

"hey, what did i say about that word?" i ask her. if i have to hear the L word one more time today, i think i'm gonna internally combust.

"sod off the both of you!" snaps jules with a huff," fine. cedric, follow us." without another word, she turns on her heel and heads toward the girls dormitory, dragging me by my robes along with her.
i look back at ced and mouth 'run while you can' at him. he chuckles and smirks that smirk of his.

upon reaching our dorm, jules sits down on a bed that i assume she's claimed as her own. she motions for cedric and i to sit on the bed beside it, so we do.

jules begins to explain what i've deemed the 'nott nut plan', and i watch as ced's naturally flushed cheeks turn a bright shade of crimson. by the time she's finished explaining and answering all of his questions, he's left speechless. his mouth opens and closes and the lines on his forehead deepen as he struggled to find words.

"well uh," he finally manages," good on you, theo is quite fit," he stutters out. jules let's out a cackle and leaps forward, wrapping her arms around ced's neck.

"i knew you'd understand," she turns her head to the side and sticks her tongue out at me, smiling manically while doing so.

"i understand why you'd shag him," cedric pushes back on her petite shoulders so that they're face to face," what i don't understand is why you want him to fall in love with you" he deadpans.

"well i'm not too sure either but it seems like lots of fun," jules laughs, and cedric and i can't help but laughing either.

it's moments like these when i realize how much i'm going to miss this when it's over. the dorms, the laughs, the stupid missions that we set up. i smile softly as i get out my wand. i poke cedric in the back with it lightly, motioning for him to get off of my bed. with the flick of my wrist, and the muttering of a spell, the contents of my trunk begin to place themselves in my room. the abundance of sweaters go in the top drawer, the family portrait goes on my night stand, and my stuffed bear goes on my bed.

my parents were murdered when i was too young to remember, i have no memories of them whatsoever. what i do have, is this bear. the bear was apparently given to me by my parents on my first birthday. it's all that i have left of them.

i lean onto the bed, so that i'm in my side with my knees half curled. while cedric and jules are off in their own conversation, i reach out and caress the fur of the bear. the comforting softness eventually lulls me into a light sleep

i wake up what i believe to be hours later by jules playing with my hair, she's in my bed and my head is cushioned by her chest.

"hey bub," she whispers, not because she has to be quiet, but because the atmosphere would change if she weren't, and neither of us want that. "how was the nap?" she asks, her nails making patterns on my head.

i yawn before answering," it was good, how long was i out for?" i reach up to rub at my eyes. i squint in the darkness and look at the window to see the moon, it doesn't look any later than midnight.

"only eleven, your sleep is gonna suck tonight," she giggles, and i feel her start to braid my hair. i've always loved when she did that.

"whether i'm awake or not i'll still learn the same amount in potions," i say only half-joking. i look up at her in time to see her quirk a smile. she places a kiss upon the top of my head and mumbles into my hair," i really hope this is a good year."

and before i can even think of a response, my eyelids close and i feel the comforting warmth of sleep take over my body.