t h i r t y s e v e n

i'm kept in the dark for an obscure amount of days. by my calculations, it must have been five days since draco visited. the only thing that truly gives me hope is draco and dumbledores plan, i just pray that it isn't idiotic.

"get up," guard A's softer voice demands. swiftly, i rise to my feet, feeling slightly faint from the lack of food.

the guard flicks his wand, encasing my wrists in shackles. they're a light silver with a buzzing blue light surrounding them. he opens the door, it freaks with old age. i cringe slightly. the guard motions for me to step forward. i do so, not wanting to suffer the repercussions. his hand grips my shoulder tightly as he leads me down the dark hall. almost every cell on the sides is empty, save for the few holding dark wizards and witches.

he pushes me inside an elevator and presses a button, sending us shooting across the ministry. i feel my stomach do flips as i lean against the wall for support.

the wall through the ministry is short, with adrenaline coursing through my body throughout the journey. we stop in front of two large, black doors. he flicks his wand, undoing the cuffs on my wrists. he stays silent, offering me no advice as he shoves me inside. suddenly, i'm face to face with the wizengamot. people of all ages sit in the stands, but my eyes are only searching for one. i pause when i see his platinum blonde hair pointing out above everyone else in the crowd. i offer him a smile, hoping that he can see it. beside him, i'm able to make out blaise, as well as theo, jules and luna swotting to his right. i take a deep breath in and exhale slowly. everything is going to be fine. it has to be.

my legs carry me to the chair stationed in the middle of the room. i take a seat, feeling the magic bind me to the chair immediately. in front of me, a few levels up, sits the chief warlock. i don't recognize him, i really should pay attention more at school.

"ms. tugwood-zabini, today we are investigating the charges against you for the use of an unforgivable. the use of an unforgivable is illegal. you were taught this in fourth year, is this correct?"

"yes, but-" i'm cut off abruptly before i'm able to defend myself.

"and you produced the curse in a sound state of mind?" he asks, peering down at me through his glasses. there's a slight hum amongst the wizengamot.

"no, i was not in a sound state of mind," i pause, waiting for him to cut me off again. he doesn't. "draco malfoy and i were being threatened and blackmailed by bellatrix lestrange. we were tasked with killing the headmaster, and neither of us wanted to go through with it." there are several gasps around the room, no one knew what bellatrix was up to before this moment. "that night in the astronomy tower would not have ended without at least one killing curse, and i'm under the impression that me using it on an escaped azkaban prisoner was the lesser of the evils."

"how do we know she's not lying?" a member of the wizengamot pipes up. i smile smugly, knowing that i have enough proof to save myself, as well as draco. although draco himself isn't on trial, i know that the ministry would do whatever it takes to get a malfoy locked up in azkaban.

"i'm willing to go under veritaserum." the room erupts. it's rare for someone under trial to do so without being offered. the chief bangs his gavel on the podium, ordering silence. once the room has settled, he speaks.

"bring in the veritaserum."

a small vial is brought in by guard A, who must have been waiting outside the door. he grasps my chin with his thumb, forcing my mouth open. he pours the contents of the vial into my mouth before walking away.

the trial goes on, as they pester me about every interaction i've had with draco, as well as with bellatrix.

they're deep in discussion with one another, all of them trying to figure out what they should do with me. i try to block them out, i don't want to get my hopes up. the buzz in the room simmers down until there's silence once again.

the chief clears his throat as he stands.

"the winzegamot finds venus tugwood-zabini," he pauses, causing my heart rate to elevate. "not guilty." i sump forward, exhausted. "by reason of self-defense." i'm released from the bind of the chair just in time for draco to wrap his arms around me. he must have run from his spot in the crowd down to my chair. hot tears fill my eyes as i laugh into the crook of his neck. i can feel him laughing in shock against me too. he pulls away, supporting my face with his slender fingers. he brushes the tears out of my eyes before leaning in and pressing a peck to my mouth.

"we can go," he whispers as he takes my hand, leading me to a portkey. the world whirs around us, and we're dropped in his dorm.

"i'm gonna go shower," i tell him, nodding my head toward the bathroom. he smiles and nods, passing me a pair of his pants and a hoodie from his drawers. i take them gratefully and head toward the bathroom.

i turn the water on, sticking my hand in to check the temperature before undressing. i refuse to look at myself in the mirror, knowing that five days in a dungeon mustn't be a good look on me. i stare down at my hands, frowning at the dirt that covers my fingernails. our prison system is abhorrent.

i step into the hot water and feel my muscles relax instantly. i sigh, loving the way that it cascades down my body. i decide to wash myself first, reaching for the body wash that i keep in dracos bathroom. it smells of vanilla and cherries. i lather it on my skin and begin to scrub away at the dirt and grime. once i'm finally happy with that, i turn to grab the shampoo. pouring a generous amount into my hand, i begin to massage my scalp. i rinse away the suds, running my fingers through my long hair. i use dracos conditioner, knowing that it's from france and probably expensive. my hair soaks up the moisture and begins to untangle. maybe i should invest in some of this conditioner.

after rinsing out the conditioner i turn off the water, as it's began to run cold. i wrap myself in his fluffy white towel, drying off my body. i grab a larger towel for my hair and throw it up in the tower as well.

once i've sufficiently dried my body i throw my towel to the side, knowing that the house-elves will pick it up later. i pull on the pair of black joggers he's given me, i have to roll up the ankles as they're too long for me. next is the forest green hoodie. i inhale, it smells like him. my cheeks flush. i can't even begin to comprehend how much i've missed him.

a/n
we're almost at the end! only a few more chapters left