t h i r t e e n

the bed is cold when i wake up, but there's a hand in mine. i crack open my eyes to peer to my right. sitting in the chair is blaise, he looks as though he'd been crying. too tired to speak, i wiggle my fingers against his to show that i'm awake. his eyes shoot up to meet mine and i'm taken aback at his appearance. his eyes are bloodshot, and there's bags under his eyes that are almost black. he lets a tear fall before wiping it away.

"don't go all soft on me now," my voice is raspy from not using it, which is odd because i was talking to draco just hours ago. blaise chuckles and squeezes my hand gently in his.

"you had a reaction to one of the potions that pomfrey gave you." his eyes pour into mine, soft brown meeting blue. "she had to put you into a medically induced coma, that was three days ago." i can do nothing but blink. that can't be right. i shake my head lightly at him, my eyebrows pinched on my face in confusion and denial.

"no, i was with draco last night," i feel tears begin to well in my eyes. i would know if i was in a coma, right?

"no venus, draco saw you three nights ago. i don't know whatever's happening between you two but he's a wreck." he sighs, bringing his spare hand to scratch at his neck. i purse my lips and avert my eyes, i know that if he keeps looking at me like that that i'll break down.

three days. i haven't been awake in three days. i try my best to process it but i just can't. did draco really ask me to be his, or was that a dream? i nervously bite at my lip as i begin to overthink.

blaise stays for a while, but he leaves once jules arrives. she takes the seat that he was in and rests her elbows on my bed.

"so," she trails on,"how are you feeling?"

"like shit," i say bluntly.

jules chuckles a bit but her face remains neutral.

"it was scary, y'know?" and i nod at her, although i don't know. i have absolutely no idea how others felt. "me, theo and draco were in here when it happened. we skipped lunch to come visit you." shes crying, i don't even have to look at her to tell, i can hear it. "we weren't really paying attention," she sniffs," and then pomfrey rushed all of us out and wouldn't let us back in. it took draco threatening her with his fathers power for her to tell us what was going on."

"but i don't remember you guys coming to visit?" confusion laced my voice as i reach out a hand to stroke her hair.

"you hadn't woken up yet, that's what made pomfrey run some tests on you. your brain was swelling rapidly so she had to put you into a coma." i let out a breath i didn't know i was holding as i let the tears stream down my face.

"how's draco?" i ask.

"bloody awful.  he keeps moping, he got detention for hexing a third year too." merlin, i'll have to talk to him about that. but my anger for his use of violence disappears quickly. he was only worried about me, i have to remind myself of that.

madame pomfrey decides to keep me for another night, just in case.

i'm finally beginning to drift off when i hear shouting. it's malfoy's voice.

"let me see her!" he shouts, presumably at madam pomfrey. i hear her huff, and then draco pulls back the curtain and makes his way to my bed. he's silent as he does so. he reaches my bed and motions for me to scoot over before taking a seat beside me. i watch him out of the corner of my eye, he looks awful. he's more pale than normal, his silver eyes have no light to them. he slides his arm under my back and wraps it around me, pulling my into his chest.

"don't you dare do that again," he whispers into my hair. i smile, at least he's feeling well enough to threaten me.

"it's fine draco, it's not like i died," i try to diffuse his anger. it backfires.

"you fucking could have venus!" he yells, his body trembles in anger. merlin, i really should think before i speak. it's silent for a few minutes before i soak again.

"did you come into my room the night that i fainted?" i ask him, my voice slightly muffled by his chest.

"i did." that's all i need to hear before pressing a kiss into his jaw. draco breathed sharply through his nose. i think that for once, he shouldn't be the one doing the comforting. i lift myself up slightly so that my head is just barely above his. taking my right hand i run it delicately through his pale blonde hair. ever so softly i feel him nuzzle his nose into the crook of my neck.

"i'm serious zabini." back to the last names i see. "don't ever fucking do that again." i laugh slightly at his protectiveness.

"i won't, malfoy." i continue to play with his hair, running my fingers through it while i massage his scalp soon enough his breathing is deep and even. i allow myself to follow suit, hoping that i dream of blonde hair and silver eyes.

when i wake up in the morning, i'm not met with the cold air. but instead, dracos warm body pressed against mine, and the smell of apples and mint encasing us.