t h i r t y t h r e e

i'm lucky enough to have a seat beside draco in muggle studies. he seems a bit calmer today, his eyes gaze lazily across the room before he tears a piece of parchment off and grabs his quill. his neat writing adorns the form paper when he passes it to me.

you will be involved.
but i will be the one to carry out the final act.

i squint at it for a second and attempt to decipher it. i decide not to send him a note back, i know that i'm not good at being cryptic. instead, i give him a small nod and turn my attention back to professor burbage.

the class is seemingly over before it even begins. i guess that's the perks of zoning out.

draco takes his time tucking away his notes, he makes sure that none of them crease or fold at the corners. i smile softly, loving the contrast between us. normally i shove my notes into my bag and rush off to the great hall for lunch, but for him i'll wait.

his pale silver eyes glance down at me when he's done. he reaches out with an outstretched hand and interlaces our pinkies. his hand is cool against mine.

"can we go out to the lake?" he asks, his voice quiet in the empty room. i hum in agreement, allowing him to lead the way.

the air is heating up outside, with flowers blooming and the grass becoming greener everyday. small birds flutter around us.

"my patronus is a hummingbird, y'know?" i gaze up at him, loving the way that the sun casts shadows across his sharp face. he looks down at me with a raised brow.

"i didnt," his tone is clipped and he sounds a little surprised.

"what's yours?" i ask curiously. dracos stride stumbles for a second, but he quickly regained his composure.

"i'm not sure, i've never cast one." i decide to drop it, not wanting to upset him further. instead, i comfortingly squeeze my pinky around his, hopefully letting him know that he's not alone.

we reach the cusp of the lake, where the water meets the edge of the forbidden forest. there's an obvious dark energy surrounding it; that type of stuff never goes away. dracos hand lets go of mine, and soon after makes its way to my waist. he guides me so that i'm standing in front of him, we're standing chest to back. he rests his chin on my shoulder, pressing a small kiss to the crook of my neck on the way down. i feel myself shiver at the contact.

"remember this spot." i slowly take in my surroundings, wanting to memorize the exact spot that i'm standing in. the trees come in on either side, leaving me in a small clearing with the water behind me.

"here you will make a small tear in the wards. it can't be big enough to alert dumbledore but it needs to be big enough to get bellatrix in." his thumb strokes small, comforting circles on my hip. "i want you to come here after dinner and do it," he whispers, his voice deep beside my ear. i suck my bottom lip in between my teeth. it's too late to back out now. i nod my head.

"i'll be here." i hope that he doesn't hear my voice break at the end. everything's suddenly coming to fruition. it's too real. i swallow the lump in my throat and plaster on a smile.

"let's go to the great hall, i'm starved." there's a twinkle in his eyes as he looks down at me, and i swear i could get lost in them.

the rest of the day goes by far too fast. before i know it i find myself exiting the great hall. the sun has since set and the wind has a certain chill to it. it's unnerving.

the vast difference between the school grounds on night and day are astounding, it's eerie beside the silent lake. my wand illuminates the area around me, and i strain to hear any unwanted visitors.

i quickly find myself in the same area as i was this afternoon, with dense forest at either side of me. i can't bring myself to bring my wand up yet. i know what will happen when i do. once i tear through the wards, it'll only be a few days before bellatrix waltzes in. only a few days before draco has to kill the headmaster.

my eyes are shiny with tears as i point my wand up, muttering the spell beneath my breath. a slight glow shoots across the wards, like a lightning bolt. i put all my strength into it as i cry, knowing that this is the point of no return. i feel the wards start to fight back before i withdraw, if i open them any further they'll alert dumbledore.

i collapse to my knees, feeling the cool dirt against my pants. the tears flow freely down my cheeks, i let everything out. i'm exhausted and i'm angry, i just want this to be over with.

the sound of a twig breaking causes me to whip my head around.

"lumos," i mumble, pointing my wand up at the culprit. i'm met with lunas glowing face. her eyes peer down at me, filled with concern.

"oh, luna," i try to laugh. "you scared me," i sigh. the look of concern doesn't waver. she knees beside me, placing an arm around my shoulder.

"venus, you don't seem well," she whispers. i sniffle slightly, knowing that i'm gone beyond recovery.

"it'll be fine luna, don't worry about it." i try to offer a smile, but i know that it's weak.

"whatever you're doing," she pauses, contemplating her next words. "i don't know how to say it, but it seems as though it's eating away at you." i let my head rest against her shoulder. i am so drained.

"thank you, luna. but i think i just need to rest." i force myself to my feet and offer her a hand. she pulls herself up and we walk together to the castle.

luna and i part ways, she goes toward the library as i make my way to the dungeon.

"veela," i whisper as i reach the wall. it freaks open, the sound of stone gliding against stone fills my ears. the younger students seem to all be in the common room, most of them silent and wide-eyed. i look around suspiciously before i heard the sound of shattering. it takes me a few moments before i realize that everyone is here except for draco. even blaise and theo are in their own corner. i give them a nod of my head as i make my way toward the sound of glass hitting cobblestone.

dracos door is ajar when i reach it, i take it as a sign to enter. i gasp when i see the mess before me. glass is shattered and discarded across the room. frames from photographs are snapped in half, laying broken near the edges of the walls. draco hasn't heard me enter, i make my way toward him slowly. i place my hand against his shoulder, softly.

the force of his magic sends me flying backwards, slamming my back against the wall behind us. i wince; the winds been knocked out of me. dracos head snaps around hurriedly.

"fuck," he mumbles as he rushes to my side. he's crouched down beside me within seconds. "are you hurt? i'm sorry. fuck." he's talking a mile per minute. "sorry. here." he lifts his wand to check for broken bones, luckily there are none. he sighs in relief before scooping me into his arms and placing me gently on his bed.

"i, uh," he can't take his eyes off of me, his eyes are filled with guilt.

"it's fine," my voice is hoarse. "it was an accident draco." i reach over to stoke my thumb over his hand.

"bellatrix is coming tomorrow." my heart plummets. i thought that we had at least a few more days.