t w e n t y t h r e e

malfoy is dragged to the hospital wing by montague and theo. blaise managed to break dracos cheekbone and his nose. i want to feel happy, to feel relieved that blaise stood up for me but i can't help but feel sorry for malfoy. ugh, stupid hufflepuff feelings, i think to myself as i head back to my dorm.

the common room is empty as i walk through it, except for the occasional student finishing up an assignment. as soon as i step foot into my dorm i make my way over to jules' bed, knowing that she'll know how to make the pain a bit better.

she stirs slightly in her sleep, he dirty blond hair frames her face like a halo. i gently shove at her shoulder, prodding her awake.

"jules," i whisper from beside her. i hear her let out a small hum, showing me that she's at least somewhat awake. "sit up, please." she groans before stretching her legs out and sitting up.

"what? i was having a dream about theo," she mumbles, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"blaise beat draco up." her eyes widen almost comically when i talk. she sits in silence for a few moments. "say something, please," i beg.

"why?" is all shes able to muster.

"draco uh-" i bite my lip, unsure of how to explain it. "he kinda implied that he just wanted to use me for sex," i avert my eyes, not wanting her to see how hurt i truly am. "said that i was easier than romilda," i chuckle humourlessly at that.

"fucking prat," she growls, fully awake now. "venus, if he was just using you for sex -and i'm just saying if- then he can go fuck himself. however, i think that he cares about you, i've seen the way that he looks at you."

i scoff at that, he's probably only ever looked at me like i'm an object.

"so i have a plan." i groan, her plans barely ever work. "make him jealous," she perfectly enunciates every word.

make him jealous. i could do that. i totally can do that. i wrap my arms around jules, pulling her into a tight hug.

"you're the best," i place my hands on either side of her head and place an over exaggerated kiss on her forehead. she giggles as he pushes me away.

"okay, okay you goblin. now let me sleep," she shoos me away as she settles back down under her covers.

i can't sleep. no matter what i try; i can't stop seeing malfoy's battered face. and i hate myself for the sympathy that i feel towards him, obviously somethings wrong. i quickly send a glance over to jules' bed, i see she's sleeping peacefully. merlin, she'd hate me if she knew what i was going to do.

i get up out of bed carefully, slipping on a pair of slippers to keep my feet warm. as quietly as i can i close the door, careful as to not wake jules. i need to see him, even if he doesn't want to see me.

the walk to the hospital wing is long and cold, i find myself wishing that i had brought a sweater. the door is slightly ajar, i'm able to slip in and scan the room for draco.

fuck.

his face is swollen as he lays in the cot. he's the second cot on the right side, i make my way over there, trying to be as quiet as possible. i take a seat on the chair beside his bed.

"draco," i whisper, leaning forward to brush his hair out of his face. the tips of his shiny blonde hair are stained red, they look almost rusty. i being my free hand up to rest beside his, letting our pinkies brush together ever so slightly. beside me i feel his hand twitch ever so slightly. he doesn't open his eyes as he mumbles. i can't seem to hear him at first, it's too quiet.

"don't touch the bear," he slurs out. at first, i think he's dreaming. he must be sleep talking, there's no other explanation. yet something in the back of my mind keeps me alert. i can't even find my bear, how in the hell would i touch it?

draco doesn't wake up for the rest of my visit, albeit i don't stay long. i need to head back to my dorm before madam pomfrey finds me here. i stand up, placing a gentle kiss to dracos forehead, knowing that he needs it. whatever's going on, i know that i need to be here for him, even if it destroys me.

the walk back to my dorm is quiet, yet my thoughts run wildly. there's almost too much to process. i refuse to even think about draco calling me easy, i push that memory as far away as possible.

the dorm is dark when i enter, the only light coming from the reflection of the moon.

"lumos," i mumble with the flick of my wand. sitting on my bed is my bear. in my excitement i almost rush to it, forgetting dracos warning. before i'm able to grasp it i stop in my tracks. what if his warning wasn't meaningless? i'd rather be safe than sorry.

"wingardium leviosa," i point my wand at the bar and watch as it floats in the air. i keep it out of arms reach as i head toward the headmasters office.

i rasp my knuckles against the door urgently, silently praying that dumbledore is still awake. the door slides open slowly, creaking as it does so. once there's enough room i float the bear through the door, following shortly after.

"professor, i think there's something wrong with this bear." he looks up at me from his place at the desk, his eyes full of concern.

"place it down in front of me, i'll take a look." he readies his wand as i place the bear on the table as gently as i can. dumbledore begins mumbling all sorts of spells, some of which i don't even recognize. when he finally stops, his face is solemn.

"this bear is cursed," his eyebrows are furrowed as he speaks. "dark magic, i'm assuming. it seems to be laced with some sort of an obliviate charm."

"so, whoever touches it loses their memory?" i ask him, my voice laced with concern.

he shakes his head lightly," not quite, it seems as though it's a dark variation of the spell, when touched it will only attack specific memories."

who would use my bear to get rid of my memories? i think to myself. what memories would they even want to rid me of?

the headmaster continues to inspect it, prodding it with his wand.

"please be gentle with it," i beg," it's the only thing i have left of my parents." his eyes are soft when they meet mine.

"of course." he clears his throat. "you go back to your dorm and get some rest, i'll return this bear when i have the chance." i nod at him, still trying to absorb what he's told me.

cursed.

someone cursed my teddy bear.

someone wanted to curse me.

is almost unfathomable. my head is foggy as i walk back to the dorm. silently, i thank malfoy for his intuition.