f o u r

A/N
they have interacted now :)

the last person i expect to approach me during dinner is malfoy. so when he does i'm at a loss for words.

"when do you want to work on the project, zabini?"he's always referred to me by my last name, but never my first name, and never my biological last name. i've never fully understood it, and i'm not sure if i ever will.

i turn to look over my left shoulder and i'm pretty much face-to-face with malfoy's crotch. blushing, i look up so fast that i think i give myself whiplash. looking up at his face isn't any better. he's pointy in all the right places, his cheekbones sharp and his nose sloped beautifully. his pale skin contrasts perfectly against his dark robes.

after what seems like minutes of staring at him, i'm finally able to form a sentence,"whenever." smooth. concise. to the point. it's fine, i'll just overthink this conversation later.

"does tonight in the slytherin common rooms work for you?" he asks, his voice deep and smooth. git.

"uh yeah, but i'll need the password," i stutter out, eloquently as ever.

he raises his eyebrows at my request. "no. i'll meet you outside the door at 8." and with that, he turns and heads back to the slytherin table where i see blaise staring at me with concern.

when i turn to my right, jules' eyes are bulging out of her head and she looks to be about ten seconds from combusting.

"oh my god, why was that kinda hot," she whispers, not that anyone could hear her shout over the noise level in the great hall. "like, him telling you to meet you outside his common room.  whew." she whistles as i blush.

"nothing is going to happen between me and malfoy, i'll probably do the work and have him look over it, that's it" i say, scooping up some potatoes with my spoon. suddenly, with the thought of later i'm not longer hungry. i'm consumed by anxiety. what if jules is right, what if something happens between me and malfoy.before i know it i'm laughing, because that is absolutely insane and would never happen in a million years.

i look over at jules," in your dreams" i grin.

"oh you know it!" she laughs, knocking my elbow with hers.

the time back at our door seems to move as slow as molasses. i still have thirty minutes before i have to head over to the slytherin common room, and it feels like jules is freaking out more than i am.

"what if he kisses you? would you kiss back?" she says to herself really, because i stopped paying attention an hour ago," oh you better kiss back. aw, what if me and theo and you and draco go on double dates? that's cute."

"why are you even on about jules, i'm just going there for this project," i sigh, playing with my hair as a distraction.

"it always starts as a project, and then the next thing you know you have two little blonde kids," she mumbles and i sputter as she does.

"i am not going to have sex with draco malfoy!" i exclaim, offended at the mere thought of it.

okay maybe i'm not offended by the thought of it, because he is quite fit. but i'm offended at the thought of my best friend thinking about it.

after twenty more minutes of jules' rambling, i get to my feet and stand up, turning around once i reach the door.

"if i'm not back by tomorrow morning. please send a search party."

rolling her eyes, jules shoos me away with the motion of her hand. i flick her off with my right hand as i reach for the knob. i hear the pillow she threw at me hit the door after i close it.

i take the scenic route to the dungeons. walking down every possible corridor before finally reaching my destination. it's dingy down here, i've never been the biggest fan of it. 

i see malfoy's shadow standing ten feet from the entrance, i walk over and attempt to shake my nerves.

"zabini," he greets me,"you're four minutes late." he sneers, looking down on my short stature.  i try not to fiddle under his intense gaze. "where are your books and parchment?" he asks and my mind goes black. fuck.

"oh merlin, i knew i forgot something!" i exclaim, making a fool of myself in front of malfoy.

he rolls his eyes, similarity to jules and mumbles "it's whatever, you can borrow mine," and without another word he heads towards the common room entrance. he says the password so quietly that i begin to doubt that he said anything at all, and then i hear the telltale creak of the door opening.

draco steps in gracefully, his long legs taking long strides as im barely inside. i hear the sound of concrete rumbling and i turn around to see what was once the entrance turn back into a wall. okay maybe that's a bit cooler than hufflepuffs, but i still don't like the idea of being underwater with no natural sunlight.

"sit here." he demands, pointing at a love seat with his want. he himself takes a seat on the leather sofa across from me. "so, do you need me to explain the project to you, seeing as how you use your class time to daydream?" he says almost teasingly, but there's bite to it.

i tilt my chin up and hope that i exude confidence when i say,"i know what the project is." such a simple sentence and yet i make it sound so weak.

he smirks and raises his eyebrows, as if he's unsure if he truly believes that. "i made an outline for how i want ours to look, go through it." he passes over a piece of parchment with neat handwriting on it. as i read through it, i hear the sound of someone coming from the dorms. i look up after handing the parchment back to malfoy and see blaise. i offer him up a smile, he beams back at me.

he comes over and combs his fingers through my hair, it's pretty much common knowledge how much i love this. malfoy watches looking indifferent.

"you two working on the potions assignment together?" blaise looks between us as he asks. he looks genuinely curious and merlin does he resemble mum. it makes me miss her.

i smile up at him and nod as malfoy gives a stiff,"yup. no wonder she wasn't sorted into ravenclaw, she left all her materials at her dorm." at that, malfoy smirks and i feel my cheeks blush in embarrassment.  blaises hand tenses in my hair and i hear him inhale.

"malfoy." he starts," i want you to think carefully before you talk about her." the glare that malfoy recieves holds the fury of a thousand suns. malfoy rolls his eyes, but yet he nods in agreement.

"fine. whatever. sisters off limits. i get it," he raises his hands up in mock-self defence.

i can already tell that this project is going to be emotionally draining.

with a nod of his head,blaise strokes my hair once more before retiring back to his dorm.