Chapter Eighteen

"So you're planning something?", asked Ella.
"Planning what?", replied Alex, confused.
"About how to propose her?"
"Uh! No! I'm not gonna propose her. She's my best friend that's all.", and his voice cracked.
"Don't lie to me at least, Alex."
"Then what do I do?", Alex raised his voice, annoyed, "I'm tired of admitting that the girl I'm in love with does not love me back and I'm being the one sided lover since I'm 18. I'm tired, Ella. I'm really tired. She's my friend and that's all, I don't wanna talk about anything else."
"Okay okay Alex. Calm down. I don't wanna hurt you. I'm sorry.", and Ella's comfort made hin calm.
And then she continued, "Thanks for hearing me out Alex. I was really having a bad day."
"Stop it! You were always my day saver and for once I am. Stop thanking me!", he replied in a playfull manner.
Then after a pause Alex continued, "Take this as an advice Ella, go and make everything right with him. He's a true gentleman Ella. Not like the others you met."
And then both of them stopped.
"Stop saying that you're not a gentleman. You just were not meant for me."
"Then I shouldn't have accepted you,"
And Ella stopped his lips with her palm and kissed him in his cheeks.
"This regret makes you a gentleman Alex. You were young and confused and it's not sure that you never did love me. You always loved her the most. That's it. Stop making yourself guilty."
"I'm sorry.", Alex uttered. "You're a lifesaver Ella."
"I know. I'm the best.", and she bounced her hair in a playful manner. And both of them laughed and shared a beautiful moment. Alex realized how much place Ella took in his heart.

And the time Alex looked at Ella and she was like, "What?"
"God, you're perfect! Don't think I'm flirting with you because you had a fight with your boyfriend. But really! Why are you so perfect? It always surprises me."
"Don't say that. Everyone has eternal flaws. I also do. It's just less external. Only few people can see it."
And then there was a pause, a long pause. And after that Alex said, "Do you think I'm ever gonna get her or whatever? Or do I have to be the secret one sided lover forever?"
There was a darkness all over his eyes, Ella saw it.
"I don't know if you're gonna get her but I only know that what's meant to be yours is gonna be yours. I don't know what she feels but she also has something for you, I guess. Maybe she doesn't show. I don't know if she loves you in that way but she do something which is more that anything, and I know you also feel it. You're just so consumed by her soul that you don't realize how to get it. Being consumed by her soul and getting her soul is different. You have to consume her soul to yours, that's when you're gonna get her. Maybe she also want to but she can't. You have to make her realize by little things that you love her, no matter what. Do you get it Alex?"
Alex was in a reverie by her words. He got startled.
"Yeah, I do. But how can I make her realize that?"
"I don't know. You know her the most and you have to do it."
"I know. I will. I love you Ella. Thank you."
"Not welcome. Love you too." And Ella's phone rang.
"Oh, it's him. I gotta go. Bye!"
And then both of them got to their home. Alex left his phone for charging when Ella called him because she was having an issue with her boyfriend so she was frustrated and she wanted to share her thoughts with someone.
When Alex got home he found 11 missed calls and 29 texts from Ashley.
Lots of *Hey*s, *Where are you?*s , *Why aren't you picking your phone?* and etcetera.
He immediately called her back and she took the phone in the second time he called.
"Hey! I'm sorry. I was out and my phone was charging in my room." And Alex heard a deep silence.
"Ash, are you there?"
And there she was with a heavy and broken voice, "Where were you?"
"I was.. I was in the park, with Ella. She was just discussing about her relationship problems. You were supposed to get home tomorrow, you got back one day before?"
"Yes, I did."
"What happened to your voice?"
"Nothing."
And Alex felt something terrible when he heard a sound like her sobbing.
"Ash! What is it? Why are you crying?"
She didn't say anything but the sound of her heavy breaths increased.
"You just stay where you are. I'm coming to your home."
And Alex left without any second thought.

He reached her home within ten minutes. He knocked the door and Ashley's mom opened it. She greeted Alex good afternoon and Alex greeted back. Then he disappeared upstairs.

When he entered her room, he found her sitting on her chair and writing diary like she always did whenever she was anxious. Alex sat on her bed and she stopped writing when he asked, "What is the matter?" He was really worried.
"Why do you care?", she said, rudely, with red, wet eyes.
"What does it mean?", Alex was not annoyed but she wanted to handle her anger.
"You were busy with someone you care for. What's the name? Yeah, Ellah. Go! Now! And talk to her!", she shouted.
Alex took a chair and sat beside her.
"Ash, listen to me. I didn't know that you were coming today so she just called because she had a quarrel with her boyfriend and she wanted to take advice from me and my phone was low so I did not take it with me. It was charging. I didn't ditch your calls or texts Ash. Please, don't be angry. Just tell me what is it.", and his calm and sweet manner watered Ashley's anger for him not picking up her phone.
"I was devastated, Alex. The only person whom I could talk to that moment was you! And you didn't take my call.", her eyes started flooding.
"I'm sorry Ash. I really am. Please forgive me. Why are you crying? Please tell me."
And Ashley looked back from him. She wasn't able to tell him what happened. But she has to because she was dying inside.

"What is it?", Alex looked in her eyes.
"I... I was there in a hotel. Where Kim and I were in the same room. Charles and Trevor, our boss, took the same room. Charles was a trustworthy colleague of Trevor."
Then she took a breath, still crying.
"Though Charles used to flirt with me I never took it seriously. Yesterday, at night around nine, I was having a cup of coffee and there was no one else in my room. Kim was gone on a date with Trevor and suddenly Charles showed up, unlocking my door. I was surprised. I asked him the reason why he showed up like that but he was looking at me, with his wild stare. I was.. I..." and she started crying again. Alex felt a bunch of emotions.
"What happened after that Ash? Tell me.", his voice was full of terror.
After taking a breath she again continued, "He suddenly jumped on me and touched me... in a bad manner... he touched my... "
She wasn't able to continue. Alex felt a seizure of terror.
"What did he do?", Alex shouted.
"I can't Alex. I can't."
"You have to. Please."
"He... he touched my bo... boobs and tore my shirt.", her voice trembling, "He put his hands into my... pants and he was so heavy that I wasn't even able to move. But finally I did and before he could touch anything else I got downstairs in whatever condition I was and they called the police. He got arrested and I was traumatized. Trevor decided to get him out of the company and the trip ended."
Alex's face was red and he was terrorized. He didn't find a word to say to her.
"What did he do to you?", his felt so wretched.
"He didn't have the chance to do anything. I am.. I am afraid Alex. After that I didn't let anyone touch me, really. I'm.. I don't know if I can work there anymore.", she stopped sobbing after sometime.
"Leave them." was Alex's commad.
Alex was frustrated, disturbed and he wanted to get the shit out of the boy's face and his fists tightened. He knew that Ashley was always like that, she used to get worried in these cases. And everytime a guy touched her without her permission, Alex used to hit them.
Ashley observed his appearance and was terrified. "Don't think anything stupid, Alex. You're not gonna hit him."
And Alex made his fists loose.
"It's okay. It was not your fault. Don't be afraid. It's okay.", Alex controlled his anger because he had to control her embarrassment.
He attempted to hug her to comfort her but then he remembered her insecurities about touch. Ashley got his message and looked at him for her allowance.

Alex hugged her and after that took her hands. She was still distracted.
"Listen. Shit happens. I can't tell you not to be afraid but don't be distracted by these things. It's mean to say not to feel bad, you girls only know how to get over these but just remember one thing, it's not your fault. You are an extremely charming young woman and life is not perfect. We have to go on leaving behind the negativities. Please don't cry."
Ashley felt a sudden comfort. She stopped crying slowly and smiled to him.
"Thank you.", she said after a moment.
"For what?"
"For being supportive always. But what about money?"
"Chill. You still have your supermarket job. We'll find another one. Don't worry."
Ashley felt off burden after talking to him. Then Carol went on the room and they felt shy because they were holding hands. They left it immediately.

When Alex was going out of her home, she hugged him again and then, Alex suddenly came closer to her and kissed her forehead.