Chapter Twenty

After five long minutes, Alex finally decided to go upstairs and check on her. He felt that something was wrong. And, his suspicion was correct. Ashley was standing with a glass of drink on the balcony. She wasn't looking fine. Alex observed her for a minute and then finally decided to speak.
"What's the matter?", And his voice startled her.
"Uh.. oh.. nothing. I was just gonna go downstairs.."
"You're lying to me. Again?", and he looked at her with a sigh, "I'm standing for two minutes. And you were so into your thoughts that you didn't even see me. Tell me, what is it?"
"Look who's talking about lying!", And she laughed.
"What? What are you talking about?", He seemed confused.
"The freaking liar, is talking about lying! Oh my god! I'm dead!", and again she started laughing loudly.
"Ash, you're drunk. Come with me.", And he took her hand to take her inside but she shouted, "Don't touch me! Leave me alone!"
"What is wrong with you?", Alex seemed annoyed.
"What is wrong with you, Alex? You never really answered the only question I asked you. You could easily win me over by answering the questions honestly but you didn't. You chose the wrong and disturbing path. Why?", her voice was slow.
"Not again, today! We'll have this conversation later. Please don't do this today. I.."
"Why do you do this always? I try! I try so hard to trust you again, but you always break me. Why can't you tell me the truth right now?", And her voice started breaking.
Alex felt anxious. After a pause he replied, "What do you wanna know?"
"Why did you leave like that? Why did you leave me alone like that?", And her eyes started flooding.
"I didn't leave you alone! You were so happy! Marrying the man you love at 20! I thought me leaving was not a big deal!"
"That's not the answer of my questions.", She shouted.
"I already answered you an eternity ago! I wanted to be a singer!", Alex's voice was also cracking now.
"Just be honest to me one last time Alex! Please!", She pleaded.
"What do you wanna hear?", He shouted.
"The truth.", She said calmly.
And after a pause, while Alex started crying silently, he said, "I.. I wasn't able to see you marrying him. So I fled."
"Why? What the problem with him?"
"Don't you get it? It's you! It has always been you! You're the reason Ash! I wasn't able to see you marrying him because I loved you!"
And then both of them were paused. Ashley looked pale and shocked. She didn't say a word. Then Alex again uttered, "Did you get what you wanted to hear? Or is it something else?"
"Why didn't you say this to me earlier?"
"How would I? Did you give me any chance? Did you ever loved me?"
And then Ashley fell on her knees and started crying. After few minutes she said, "I tried so hard! I tried so hard to give you the courage and the moment to say this! I always expected, every day, that you'd say. But you never did! At last, I made and told you the news of the marriage, thought that you would at least get the courage to tell me but I was wrong. You left me! Forever!" And she did burst out if tears. Alex didn't know what to do. He was more than shocked. He was crying too but he wasn't able to see her crying. He sat down on his knees and put on his hands on her shoulder.
"Why did you lie to hear it from me?"
"Because I didn't know if you ever felt the same way. I loved you, Alex!"
And his heartbeat started gaining. He felt it all at once. Everything happened two years ago, was clear to him. And then Alex didn't know what he was doing but he lifted up her face with his palms and leant down to kiss her. But she backed off wiped her tears and ran out of the room. Alex saw her car going out from the parking lot. He was left there with all of his frustrating thoughts.