Chapter Thirty-Nine: Close But Not Quite

A/N: Alright you guys have waited long enough for this one!! Hope you like it and ill see yall next week~

Sanji grabbed two packs of Bubbilicous Strawberry bubble gum. The craving for a cigarette was killing him, and Sanji wasn't going to get some anytime soon. Figures the minimum age had to go to 21 just before he turned 18.

"You ready?" Zoro asked from behind Sanji.

"Yeah," Sanji agreed. Zoro stepped past him and Sanji followed him up to the cashier. Zoro set his red Gatorade Sanji's gum when next to it. Zoro put money down for gas too. While Zoro was paying Sanji went back out to Zoro's car. He popped a piece of gum into his mouth right away. The gum was too sweet and tasted like artificial flavor and plastic but it served as a distraction for Sanji's craving.

Sanji started to fill up the tank, he was watching the numbers climb until he caught a flash of green and saw Zoro coming back.

Zoro leaned against the car next to Sanji.

"What happens when we get to Oregon?" Zoro asked.

Sanji shrugged. "I didn't think that far ahead." Sanji really didn't expect to get even this far but they were here and Sanji would never have to see Judge's face again. Or any of his brothers. Reiju and his mom, they'd be okay. They were always okay.

"Really?" Zoro asked, he looked over at Sanji noticing his slightly furrowed brow and small frown.

"I figured something would have stopped us..." The nozzle clicked. It took up every penny and Sanji didn't think the tank was even full. Sanji put the nozzle away and closed the tank.

Zoro laid his hand on Sanji's side as he turned back around. Sanji raised his eyebrows, look at Zoro with wide eye

"Even if we get caught," Zoro spoke quietly, taking a step closer to Sanji and meeting his eyes. "I won't let you get stuck there again, with your family."

Sanji pulled on Zoro's shirt, bringing him a little closer, and kissed him. Zoro could taste the strawberry bubblegum on his lips. Zoro pulled away slowly, not really wanting to stop. The gum was way too sweet.

"They're not my family," Sanji said, his eyes turned to the ground. "You and the others are more my family than they are."

"Don't let anyone else hear that. They might think you care about them," Zoro teased with a small grin.

"Ass," Sanji huffed, pushing Zoro away. Zoro smirked and Sanji wanted to wipe the cocky expression off his face.

A car pulled up to the gas pump behind them. Zoro watched over Sanji's shoulder.

"That looks like Sabo's car..." Zoro muttered. Sanji looked over his shoulder too.

"That's Luffy and Law in the front seat!" Sanji said.

"You think we can outrun 'em?" Zoro asked.

"Sanji! Zoro!" Luffy was already out of the car and running towards them.

"Not a chance," Sanji said.

"Sanji!" Luffy looked angry as he approached Sanji. "You promised me you'd be at school today!"

"Things changed," Sanji muttered. "I couldn't stay there."

"How'd you even find us?" Zoro asked.

"Your location on Snapchat is on," Luffy said.

"Zoro, you're an idiot," Sanji sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"You guys gotta come back!" Luffy insisted. Just the idea of going back there made Sanji's stomach churn.