Chapter 17: Wounds Take Time To Heal

(Y/N) POV

These past few months have been slow progress. Some of us have taken it as a time to reflect and heal. Others took it as a time to unravel and relax for once. It feels like the first break I've had in God knows how long. However, it hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows, particularly for me. Godzilla has had a complete change of heart. No longer a wicked savage, but a kind, caring, guardian of the Earth.

We've been talking out our disagreements and have come to a pleasant conclusion. Mothra had to help us work things out a bit. She explained a bit about Godzilla's past that I never knew about until now. Long ago, near the dawn of time, a primordial being of darkness had manifested inside the planet when it was young. This entity had slaughtered Godzilla's kind, including her family. The dark entity used this to their advantage to take over her mind. It would've been successful if the darkness hadn't given way to the light.

A primordial being of light, the counterpart to the darkness, had descended onto this world to stop the darkness by confining it within the Earth's core where it first formed. The battle before this shook the planet. Mothra said the mere presence of these beings to alter their surroundings. The being of light created Mothra and Ghidorah. However, the being of darkness stole the light that created Ghidorah twisted it into something vicious and a false light. A light that can burn instead of heal. The being of light had cast the creature that would soon be the Ghidorah we know to the stars.

Godzilla got released, but was never the same afterwards, knowing that she might be the last of her kind. It all makes sense now, it's no wonder why she acted this way. Something doesn't feel right about me. How can I? Why am I the only one not okay with this? I beat Godzilla, get payback, and understand why she did what she did. I DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

Godzilla: (Y/N)?

I jumped a bit in surprise. I thought I was alone on this shore.

Godzilla: I'm sorry, would you prefer Goshin?

(Y/N): No, it's fine, you did nothing wrong. I just... I just don't understand.

Godzilla: What don't you understand?

(Y/N): None of this makes sense to me. I'm supposed to feel better. Better about myself, better about my life, but I just feel unsatisfied or empty. I finally defeat you after all that has happened. After I stood up to you and was no longer a victim.

I hoped, having a victory over you, standing before you while you remained beaten would clear things up, but it didn't. Then you wake up and now you're a good guy and everyone seems to have moved on like it didn't happen. Mothra tells your story and now it's all okay? NO! HOW CAN I BE OKAY NOW!? I should be at least somewhat relieved, but I'm not and I hate that. Why is everyone fine?

Godzilla: (Y/N)

I turned towards her expecting anything, except for a face of regret. Her hands softly touched my shoulder as she kept looking at me with sad eyes.

Godzilla: You're not the only one who can't move on. I made Rodan fear me despite her being frightened of practically everyone, abused Anguirus, ignored Mothra, and destroyed Kong's home. Then there are all the things I've done to you. I need to keep going, knowing I've committed so many evils that I most likely can't make up for. I want you to know that I am so, so sorry for what I've done to you.

Everything Mothra said about me was true. We might never heal from this. Please don't go down that path. I was lucky that it didn't end with my death. Don't think it will be the same for you.

Her voice was shaky for once. She had to pause just to collect herself. Maybe... there's something. I didn't think I would ever feel sorry for her, weird.