Old Friends

.

The brunette's steps were heavy and swift, crossing the landscape and terrain around him. The tall grass brushed past the bottom of his coat, the morning dew leaving a darker print on the bottom as he walked. He pushed past the groove in the trees to see the familiar river dividing the partially torn down walls and the slightly charred land. His fluffy brown hair was swept out of his face as he looked for a shallow patch to walk through. There was a small shallow area to his left with a dip in it, the large tree above it shading the surroundings.

Wilbur took a step into the cold water, retracting his foot for a second from the coldness, then let himself slowly sink into the river. He began to carefully walk across the shallow patch, his foot sometimes getting swallowed by the mud below him. The water was now up to his waist as he was halfway across. He reached into the pocket on his chest and pulled out a small business card with dark red letters. The edges of the card had a black rim and the dark red of the words seemed to almost glow as he made his way to the once great nation. He glanced at the card again.

'One day pass.'

He had one day to do this.

He stopped his trance only to be met with his face in the dirt. He had been walking along the river bank now and tripped on some logs left out near a large white and black cottage. It's walls were open and dented and was missing a roof. Wilbur took in his surroundings a bit more, a sad feeling making his way into his gut from the new look of the nation. There was a dock to his right with a hoard of dogs sitting on the posts and some swimming in the water below. Many of them were large dogs. Sheep dogs, german shepherds, huskies, while a few of the smaller ones were on the deck. Corgis, pugs, pomeranians and beagles waited patiently in the sunlight enjoying the day.

A spark initiated in Wilbur's mind. He was forced out of Manburg with no hesitation so everything of his was still there. So his dog should still be there too if they didn't kill it or raid his house.

He remembers it too. A long, lean greyhound. White fur with tan spots that spread over its body. He named him Ritz. He was the fastest dog in Manburg and in the entire Dream nation. Ritz was strong too, could drag someone if he wanted to.

The memories grew a newfound sadness in Wilbur, missing him. Maybe he could see him while he was there for the day to bring him home if his plan doesn't work. He stopped his pity party and continued his stride again across the symphony he used to conduct. Its tune was now off key and the joyful tone of it all now dropped to a minor key to bring a chill up your spine. The pages were burned and torn in his hands that were now stolen away by an old friend.

He treaded up a hill to his left, -rejoining the path to his destination-, and let his mind wander again. So much had changed since he had left. Most of the surrounding area was mainly buildings that were to be constructed. Wilbur saw no one around him. Everything was deserted. It left an eerie feeling, hovering around him like fog. The brunette continued up the path until the large podium came into view. The small pond below the tower embedded in the hillside was a deep blue and green. The colors swirled together in twisting patterns to create a deep look. It was maybe around 4 feet deep although the color made it seem bottomless, as if you'd sink forever if you fell in. He was so entranced until he heard a crossbow load behind him.

He spun around with his hands up beside his head, showing submission as to not get shot. The person's pale blonde hair poked out from under their egg shell coloured hoodie. The gold chain and locket around their neck swung as they locked the crossbow's aim on Wilbur.

"Hey! Uh...Can you put that down please?" Wilbur went to grab the tip of the crossbow Punz held to hopefully lower it, only to jump to the side by the sound of a click and an arrow to fly by his side, clipping his sleeve. "Punz, what the hell!" Wilbur yelled as he held the torn part of his sleeve.