Parental Problems

Victor had odd parents. They were both the head scientist for the Detroit branch of STAR Labatories. Actually, that's how they met. Silas was new to his job and one day he was working on something when his best friend came up to him with a girl. He was holding her hand and Silas fell in love with her. This woman was Elinore Caulder.

The two went on many dates and finally got married. Not long after Elinore fell pregnant with a baby boy. His name was Victor Antony Stone. Victor was very special to them both but eventually Silas lost interest in Victor and went back to his work – forgetting about Victor – not spending anytime with him.

Silas was always busy with his work. He had combed back hair which somehow always became messy by the end of the day. Despite his age his hair was already becoming grey – chances are it was due to stress from doing to much work. He didn't spend much time with Victor – he found him a waste of his time.

But Elinore was different. She was sweet and kind. She was also very busy with her work like Silas was but unlike him she found time to spend with Victor even if it was 10 minutes. It meant a lot to Victor that she spent even a little time with him – it made Victor feel important – that he was someone. Elinore would help Victor with whatever he was doing.

When Victor had programmed a robot, he went to show his father – but he hadn't even noticed that he was standing there. When Elinore saw him standing there – robot in one hand and controller in the other with his head hanging low – about to walk away, she ran over to him.

"Can you show me what your robot does?" Elinore said looking at him, moving his hair out of his face. Victor looked up and smiled. His mother had abandoned whatever she was doing just to be with him. Elinore willing spent time with Victor – for Victor's benefit but Silas spent time with Victor – for Silas's benefit. That annoyed Elinore and Victor.

Silas did care about Victor – he was doing what he was doing for him – so he would have a future – so life would be easier to live. Because Victor was growing up in a time of superheroes, he needed to be ready and strong – he needs to be smart – he needed to be noticed for doing something that would help the world – and Silas didn't want him to waste it. He just didn't know that what he was doing was not how Victor wanted to be recognised – he wanted something better. He wasn't his father and he will never be.

Victor needs his own path; he does not need the world his father handed to him on a silver platter. He wants his own life but first he needs help from his father, but he also needs his father to stop helping. He's not his lab rat.