One Day More

Valjean, Nicklaus, Bernadette and Cosette sit on either side of the carriage, apart, staring out of their respective windows. A stark contrast to the carriage scene when Valjean sang to Cosette as a little girl.Valjean: One day more!  Another day, another destiny. This never-ending road to  Calvary. These men who seem to know my crime. Will surely come a second time -One day more! Marius & Enjolras by the empty house. Marius & Enjolras: I did not live until today - How can I live when we are parted? Valjean: One day more! Bernadette: Tomorrow you'll be worlds away And yet with you my world has started! Eponine at the gate, Bernadette, Niclaus, Cosette and Valjean in the carriage, and Marius & Enjolras in the dark garden.

Eponine: One more day all on my own... Enjolras/Marius/ Bernadette:  Will we ever meet again? Eponine: One more day with him not caring... Marius/Bernadette: I was born to be with you! Eponine: What a life I might have known... Enjolras/Marius/ Bernadette: And I swear I will be true! Eponine: But he never saw me there. Julius and the students have a production line under way for making bullets. The rifles are now stacked and ready for the uprising. Grantaire is downstairs flirting with a Barmaid. Madame Hucheloup the proprietress of the Cafe Musain is sewing a red revolutionary flag to help the students.

Julius: One more day before the storm! Odette: Will he ever notice that I am here. Benny: One day he will notice you. Marius & Enjolras walking back sadly through the Rue de la Chanvrerie. Marius & Enjolras: Do I follow where she goes? Julius: At the barricades of freedom! Marius & Enjolras: Shall I join my brothers there? Julius: When our ranks begin to form. Marius & Enjolras: Do I stay and do I dare? Julius:(from top of stairs, for Grantaire's benefit) Will you take your place with me? Grantaire rather reluctantly goes upstairs.

All: The time is now! The day is here! One day more! Javert is briefing a hundred uniformed police about the coming day in a grand ornate old room at Police Headquarters. Javert: One day more to revolution. We will nip it in the bud. We'll be ready for these schoolboys.They will wet themselves with blood! Valjean: One day more! Monsieur and Madame Thenardier are in the ground-floor bar, slyly watching a student smuggling some rifles up the stairs disguised in a piece of cloth. Joly takes a tray and collects empty tankards. As he ascends the stairs, Madame Hucheloup tries to get him to give the tankards back.

Thenardiers: Watch'em run amuck! Catch'em as they fall! Never know your luck When there's a free-for-all.Here a little dip,There a little touch -Most of them are goners. So they won't miss much! The drinkers in the bar raise their glasses to the students with their rifles. The students appeal to them. Grantaire is drunk already. Joly starts to melt the tankards in a pot to make more bullets. Marius & Enjolras enter the ground floor and takes the red flag from Madame Hucheloup that she has just finished. The citizens on the ground floor join the students.

Students: One day to a new beginning! Raise the flag of freedom high! Every man will be a king! Every man will be a king! There's a new world for the winning! There's a new world to be won! Do you hear the people sing? Marius & Enjolras enters the first floor to join them at last. Marius & Enjolras: My place is here! I fight with you! Niclaus & Bernadette arrive at the castle. Valjean and Cosette arrive at their new hideout - Marius ties the red flag onto a flagpole. Valjean: One day more! Bernadette /Marius: I did not live until today How can I live when we are parted? Eponine outside the café, gazing longingly towards Marius Eponine: One more day on my own... Javert in the police station to his men. Javert: I will join these people's heroes I will follow where they go. I will learn their little secrets, I will know the things they know. Valjean/Javert: One day more!

Enjolras/Marius/ Bernadette: Tomorrow you'll be worlds away. And yet with you my world has started. Javert: One more day to revolution. We will nip it in the bud. We'll be ready for these schoolboys.Thenardiers: Watch'em run amuck. Catch'em as they fall.  Never know your luck. When there's a free-for-all! Valjean: Tomorrow we'll be far away. Valjean/Javert: Tomorrow is the judgement day. All: Tomorrow we'll discover. What our God in heaven has in store - One more dawn! One more day! One day more!

Julius, Enjolras and Marius holding their flag at the first floor window with the students beyond them to see that citizens have spilled out of the Cafe Musain into the street and have all joined in the final chorus.