Empty Chairs At Empty Tables

He's waking from the nightmare, finding himself in a fine bed, with clean linen. He looks round: a handsome room. Gillenormand: Marius! You've come back to us! Marius recognises the old man anxiously watching him: his grandfather, Monsieur Gillenormand. Marius: Grandfather... He struggles to rise, but he lacks the strength. His grandfather's face shows only love and concern. Gillenormand: Rest, Marius. No more harsh words between us. I just thank God you're alive.Timidly the old man comes closer to the bed. Tears form in Marius's eyes. Encouraged, the old man takes Marius's hand in his. Gillenormand: You've come home. To all of us.The distant voices of the mourning women. Women: Round and round. And back where you began... Bernadette: Marius. Marius smilies. Bernadette walks over and sits next to him and Marius kisses her. 

Enjolras is slowly waking from his nightmare and finding himself in a fine bed, with clean linen. He looks round: a handsome room. Odette: Enjolras. Enjolras smilies. Odette comes over. Enjolras: Princess. Odette: Rest Enjolras. Enjolras waves her over to sit next to him on the bed. Odette sits next to him on the bed. Enjolras kisses Odette again for the first time since the fall of the barricade. 

At the Musian Cafe: Marius and Enjolras make their way slowly up the stairs to the upper room. They are still weak from their wounds. They enter the room where their friends died, and look around. They sink into a chair. Marius: There's a grief that can't be spoken. Enjolras: There's a pain goes on and on. Marius & Enjolras: Empty chairs at empty tables. Now our friends are dead and gone. They see the bloodstain on the wall beneath the window sill.The blood of Julius. Marius: Here they talked of revolution. Here it was they lit the flame. Here they sang about tomorrow. And tomorrow never came...Enjolras: From the table in the corner. They could see a world reborn. And they rose with voices ringing. And I can hear them now! 

Marius:The very words that they had sung. Became their last communion. On the lonely barricade at dawn. They look out of the window at what's left of the barricade.They seems to see again the brave doomed defence, the smoke and the gunfire, the young men falling. Marius: Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me. That I live and you are gone. There's a grief that can't be spoken. There's a pain goes on and on... Enjolras: Phantom faces at the window. Phantom shadows on the floor. Empty chairs at empty tables. Where my friends will meet no more. Marius & Enjolras: Oh my friends, my friends, don't ask me. What your sacrifice was for. Empty chairs at empty tables. Where my friends will sing no more. 

Slowly they rises from the chair and turns to the doorway. There stands Bernadette & Odette, waiting for them.