Barricade Part 2

(AN: Scroll down to the bottom and click on the external link and listen to songs while you read the chapter.)

The landlady climbs the stairs, followed by Gavroche. The landlady indicates the door, and Gavroche knocks boldly.The door opens a crack to reveal a cautious Valjean. Gavroche: Letter for Bernadette. Valjean: I'll take it. Gavroche holds out the letter with one hand, not quite giving it, the other hand open for a tip.Valjean gives him a coin, which he pockets as he hands over the letter. Gavroche: Something for you, something for me. Who needs charity?

Valjean he reads the note.Valjean: Dearest Bernadette, you have entered my soul. And soon you will be gone.Can it be only a day since we met. And the world was reborn? If I should fall in the battle to come. Let this be my goodbye. Now that I know you love me as well. It is harder to die. I pray that God will bring me home. To be with you. Pray for your Marius. He prays for you.' He looks up, deeply distressed. He can't bear the thought of losing Bernadette. Valjean: They haven't got a chance, these boys.They almost certainly will die.She'll be alone. And she will need me all the more. And we will go on as before. When he is gone. I dare not think like this. I must find this boy.

Valjean walks the streets, not caring where he goes, struggling with his tormented thoughts. He sees a barricade being dismantled. And bodies.Suddenly he knows what he's going to do. He sees a dead soldier. He takes his jacket and swiftly pulls it on. He continues on his way in the dark. Looking up he sees that he's been walking all the time towards the very barricade where Marius waits. Now looking like a soldier, he passes unchallenged through their lines, and into the shadows. As he passes, he notices two soldiers climbing up onto the rooftops. Glimpses through the barricade of a lone figure approaching from the far end of the narrow street. The figure comes into lamp light. It's Valjean, in the soldier's jacket. The student sentries level their guns. Gavroche jumps up.

Valjean: Don't shoot! Joly: Here comes a man in uniform! What brings you to this place? Valjean: I come here as a volunteer. Joly: Approach and show your face! Prouvaire:  You wear an army uniform. Valjean: That's why they let me through. The student sentries open the slot in the barricade to let Valjean enter. Joly: You've got some years behind you, sir. Valjean: There's much that I can do. Joly: You see that prisoner over there? He points to Javert, in a dark corner, his hands tied. Grantaire: A volunteer like you! Combeferre: A spy who calls himself Javert! Grantaire: He's going to get it too! Javert looks up and meets Valjean's eyes. A steady shared look. Gavroche: Don't shoot! I know him! He's no soldier!

Suddenly Valjean spots a couple of snipers creeping over the roofs to gain an angle of attack on them. They are aiming at Enjolras. Swiftly Valjean grabs a gun and shoots up at them sending them scattering. Quickly other students join in and the snipers are driven back.There is a burst of gunfire from both ends of the street as a brief fire fight ensues.The snipers have disappeared. Julius turns to Valjean. Enjolras: For your presence of mind,For the deed you have done,I will thank you, M'sieur, When our battle is won. Marius: Thank you, M'sieur. Valjean: Give me no thanks, M'sieur. There's something you can do. Julius: If it is in my power. Valjean: Give me the spy Javert! Let me take care of him. Javert hears this with grim satisfaction.

Javert: The law is inside out. The world is upside down.Julius: Do what you have to do -The man belongs to you. He turns to his little army. Julius: The enemy may be regrouping! Hold yourselves in readiness! Come, my friends, back to your positions! The dawn is breaking fast. Valjean takes Javert out the back of the Cafe Musain. He carries a knife. Valjean: We meet again...Javert: You've hungered for this all your life.Take your revenge. How right you should kill with a knife. Valjean uses the knife to cut Javert free. Valjean: You talk too much. Your life is safe in my hands. Javert: Don't understand... Valjean: Get out of here. Javert: Valjean, take care!  I'm warning you. Valjean: Clear out of here!