1848

From far off, the swelling sounds of the approaching march become the words of a song. Marchers: Do you hear the people sing. Lost in the valley of the night? It is the music of a people. Who are climbing to the light. For the wretched of the earth. There is a flame that never dies. Even the darkest night will end. And the sun will rise. We're in the Place de la Bastille. The triumphal column has long been completed, but the great elephant is sadly dilapidated and has become incorporated into an immense barricade - three stories high, seven hundred feet long. Down all the streets that converge on the square we now see the multiple victory marches approaching. 

They cheer and beat drums as they climb up to the top of the barricade. The people of Paris have risen in their tens of thousands. The King has fled. A new Republic is born. There in the forefront of one column march Marius, Bernedette, Enjolras, Odette, Neville and Cosette. 

Marchers: They will live again in freedom. In the garden of the Lord. They will walk behind the plough- share. They will put away the sword. The chain will be broken. And all men will have their reward! As the marchers come nearer we begin to realise how many there are: thousand upon thousand. And there marching among them we see ghosts from the past - Julius and the students who died - and Fantine - and Eponine -And out of the crumbling elephant peers another ghost: the grinning face of Gavroche. He climbs out to dance on the elephant, as the crowd fill the square. 

Marchers: Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me? Somewhere beyond the barricade. Is there a world you long to see? As the marchers converge, there watching them are Thenardier and his wife. Thenardier gives the marchers a wave of greeting. Survivors to the last. Marchers: Do you hear the people sing? Say, do you hear the distant drums? It is the future that they bring. When tomorrow comes! 

Now among the marchers we see the ghost of Valjean, singing with the rest atop the barricade, amongst the waving red flags. Marchers: Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me? Somewhere beyond the barricade.Is there a world you long to see? Do you hear the people sing? Say, do you hear the distant drums? It is the future that they bring.When tomorrow comes...Tomorrow comes!