That Gave Me Hope

Warning: Mentions of suicide

Whenever night came, the Jung residence became too silent, eerie even. Jeongguk was tucked into bed with his tower of blankets on top of him, weighing him down.

Hoseok had been right before. It got really cold during the night and maybe it was due the fact it was a big house but everything felt so empty and chily whenever their talking and laughter died down.

He wriggled his feet out of the wooly socks he had been wearing and kicked them out of the bed. He wasn't sleepy yet but his phone had died an hour ago and he hadn't bothered plugging it in. Whenever he picked up his phone he couldn't stop himself from going through his pictures and stare at the photos he had taken from Taehyung in the past months.

Taehyung standing in the kitchen, sweatpants low on his hips, one hand stuffed into his pocket while the other hand pushed the scrambled eggs around on the stove.

Taehyung, a harsh frown on his face as he watched two of his trainees fight in the ring, tongue poking out whenever he noticed a flaw in one of their moves.

Taehyung, cuddled up on the couch, blanket around his shoulders, television on in the background as the man watched the full moon through the nearby window, the lights out.

Jeongguk shook his head and kicked his feet in anger. The more time he got to think, the more he thought of Taehyung, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing but he couldn't stop thinking about him wherever he was.

When the blankets got too restricting and the room too dark, he pushed the blankets from his body and slid out of bed. His bare feet padded across the room towards the door, deciding to go to the bathroom before trying to sleep again.

He was met with Hoseok's closed door once he stepped into the hallway. Jeongguk stared at the poster on the door, some kind of anime guy staring back at him. Jeongguk didn't watch anime too often but he sometimes caught Taehyung binging them.

Taehyung. Again Taehyung. Stop thinking about him for one second!

He softly slapped his forehead and resumed his way to the bathroom. He had been learning the way in Hoseok's house the past days and now he could almost find the bathroom in the dark without stubbing his toe against the book case on the right.

After doing his business, his eyes blinking once he flicked off the lights in the bathroom, he returned to his room. When he was about to enter the bedroom, his back turned to Hoseok's room, he halted.

He tilted his head, beginning to pick up on some sounds. The second he realized what those sounds really were, adrenaline jumped through his veins and his heart started thudding against his chest. He quickly turned on his heels and knocked on Hoseok's door.

"Hoseok?" He called out, a sort of panic in his voice, panic he hadn't thought he'd feel for Hoseok.

The boy didn't reply and against Jeongguk's better judgement he grabbed the doorknob and opened the door. The room was dark and the sounds had dulled until it was only a soft muffled sound. "Hoseok." He called again, feet tentatively entering the room. "Are you alright?"

He got close enough to the bed to make out the shape of someone in the bed. When he reached out his hand, wanting to poke Hoseok to make him respond, his arm was grabbed and his body was tugged towards the bed. Jeongguk yelped but opened his arms nonetheless when he felt Hoseok clamp onto him.

Jeongguk let the boy sob into his chest, arms slowly closing around Hoseok's body to hug him close. He wasn't a real affectionate person – unless it came to Taehyung the affectionate, needy, and I won't let you go octopus – so hugging another person often felt weird.