Chapter 4 - A haunting past

"So explain this to me one more time, you think you're being haunted by the evil ghost of Taylor Hill because you feel like it's your fault she died?" Velma questioned as I nodded pouring hot water from the kettle into 4 cups, one for me, one for Velma, one for Fred, and another for Shaggy.

The smell of the chamomile scented tea calmed my nerves as I went to the fridge for some milk, I was still a little shaky but I had calmed down a bit since Fred, Velma and Shaggy walked me back home cause I couldn't stand to be at school any second longer, we didn't say much to one another on our walk here all they did was ask me how I was feeling and if I was okay.

"Yes...I think...maybe...I don't know exactly." I confessed, everything that happened leading to this moment felt so unbelievable, "I get that it sounds insane but I know what I saw, and the feeling that I got was so horrifying that I know I couldn't have just imagined it, there's no way." I answered as I began pouring the milk.

"Need some help there?" Fred asked looking at my shaky hands that struggled to pour the milk without making a mess, "It's okay, I'm almost done anyway." I sighed looking out the window asking myself if they would ever believe me.

"Look Daphne, it's not that I don't believe you..." She sighed as I narrowed my eyes hoping she wouldn't say but, "But..." I groaned, "Ghosts and demons don't exist, so there has to be a logical reason for all of this, maybe someone was trying to prank you because of everything that's going on right now in your life." Velma insisted as I scoffed.

"I can't see how that could make a prank look that elaborate," I started handing each of them their cups of tea.

"Say it was a prank, who do you think would do that to you and why?" Shaggy questioned as I shrugged, "Not anyone I can think of right off the top of my head if I'm being honest." I said taking a seat by the table where everyone else sat.

"Maybe it was a ghost, maybe it's trying to tell you something." Fred spoke out as I looked over at him and shrugged, "What would it be trying to tell me?"

"Who killed her," Fred answered as I took in a deep breath looking away, out of the kitchen window. This was one mystery I didn't want to get involved in, just thinking about it caused me unmentionable pain, "Well I don't want any part of it, all I want to do is move past it all." I said under my breath, "I need to move forward." I said getting up from the table in a fit of frustration heading for my room.

"Don't you want justice for Taylor?" Fred called up sitting up from the table, "You said she was your best friend, the least you could do is make sure her killer is punished for their crime."

"That's the police's job, not ours we're just a bunch of kids!" I started turning to look back at him, "And even if we were to try to solve what happened to her, where would we even start?" I questioned folding my arms.

"We start with figuring out who had the most to gain from her death, by that I mean who had a score to settle with her." Velma looked over at me as I took in a deep breath and let out a sigh, "I don't know exactly, she wasn't a girl who had any enemies, people loved her." I answered as I went back to the table to take my seat.

"Did she have a Diary?" Shaggy asked as I looked over at him in awe, "Yes she did, if she had an issue with someone and dint tell me then I'm beyond sure she put in her Diary." I answered.

"Do you know where she kept it?" Velma asked as I nodded in response, "Yeah I do, she had a loose floorboard underneath her bed, she hid a bunch of stuff down there."

"Do you think you could get into her house?" Shaggy asked as I sighed, absolutely dreaded the thought of going anywhere near her house let alone snooping around her room, I barely wanted to even think about what happened earlier today and her death, but it was just like me to get roped into a situation I should have steered clear of. I knew that even if we did find her killer, it wouldn't bring her back all it would do is cause me more heartache and an immense amount of pain. I also knew that if roles were reversed she wouldn't stop till the killer was brought to justice.