f i v e

mia | september 2nd | 8:37am
>the great hall

"into what?"

i turned around so fast i almost gave myself whiplash. hannah let out a loud, curt laugh before i heard her shuffle out of the bench - leaning in and muttering in my ear quietly,

"i will literally ruin the whole moment being here, i'm going to wet myself if i keep looking at your face" she sniggered before she stood up, bidding a goodbye to george and walking out of the hall.

i watched as her long, blue hair swayed on her back - silently praying she'd come back to save me from this awkward conversation but she kept walking and turned the corner out of sight.

kill me now. please.

i turned my body to face george who was standing beside the bench. he looked awkward standing whilst i sat, craning my neck up to look at him i motioned for him to sit. he did, sliding his long legs under the bench and turning to look at me - smiling as he met my eyes.

"how are–?" i started, before george began speaking at the same time,

"so what–?" he said.

we both laughed, him motioning for me to go first but i shook my head. "you go" i said softly, trying not to overthink what he was going to say.

"i was going to ask what you and hannah were talking about" he said, cocking his head to the side in question as he looked into my eyes. i gulped before shaking my head, trying to come up with the most believable lie i could think of.

"uh— well, it was nothing we– she just asked if like— you liked um, playing quidditch?" i stuttered out, my hands beginning to sweat in nervousness. i couldn't return his gaze as i looked into my lap, my left hand taking a hold of my right index finger in anxiousness. i watched as my hands shook, not because i was scared but because of how nervous i get.

"playing quidditch?" he repeated in a questioning voice and i nodded, still looking into my lap. he shifted slightly beside me and i felt him place his large hand over mine, easing the shaking a little. he squeezed gently, giving me a silent bit of reassurance and i smiled weakly at our hands.

to put it more specifically - his hands.

"you don't have to be nervous mia, i know you're lying - please be honest with me" he said gently, stroking the back of my hand with this thumb. i exhaled a silent, shaky breath before beginning to splutter out a explanation.

"she basically um, she— she basically made joke that — it wasn't funny at all and it wa— it was about —how do i put this it was about — about, um –choking?" i choked out hastily, terrified of his response. had i taken it too far again telling him this?

it felt like my stomach had caved in on itself. however, before i could even look at his face, the bell rang curtly, signalling the start of classes and i mentally screamed in joy, pulling my hand out from under george's and grabbed my bag.

"oh—! i've got to get to class, i'll see you at lunch! i've got to get to potions or snape will actually kill me" i said, hurrying up and out of my seat, basically sprinting out of the hall — my heartbeat was thundering through my ears and i felt like i was either going to pass out or throw up. or both.

———

the sound of my boots hitting the stone stairs echoed through the halls as i walked quickly towards the class. as i walked through the doors, i automatically scanned the class for hannah and her blue hair. when i eventually spotted her near the middle of the room, i quickly walked over and dropped myself into the seat beside her, relief washing over my body as i slumped.