3 | ugly or not ugly

Jungkook's POV

"Yah, Minjae. Have you seen Y/N? I haven't seen her all day." I ran up to my friends, slightly out of breath from looking all around for Y/N.

"Do you think—" I hesitated, rubbing my neck awkwardly.

"I was a bit too harsh on her yesterday, wasn't I? Do you think that's why she isn't here today? Because she hates me?" I muttered, guilt creeping up my face again.

I hadn't been able to sleep at all ever since I had heard from a passing group of students that Y/N had been crying when she went home yesterday. Some even said that she was roughly wiping away tears and blood was coming off her cheeks.

Minjae shook his head. "Nope, fortunately I haven't seen her yet, Jungkook-ah. And I don't want to either." He shrugged. "She's so oversensitive and just harsh on the eyes. What did we say to her anyway? Just that she's ugly? Well, where's the lie in that?" He rambled as my patience wore thin.

Minjae could be really cruel at times.

Not that I was any different.

I too, always hurt Y/N.

"If she can't accept a simple truth, it's better she stays at home and doesn't show her ugly face here." Minjae continued, traces of amusement clearly visible in his tone and I felt my fists clench as a wave of anger shot through me.

"She's not ugly though." I muttered tightly, trying not to glare at Minjae as he laughed.

"Dude, have you seen her face? She's the most despised girl in the whole campus? She looks so...diseased." He shuddered as I frowned.

I had known Y/N for the last two years but she didn't seem to have any friends. She always sat alone and no one to hang out with—even the teachers kept their distance from her.

From what I'd heard, she even ate her lunch alone and walked back home all by herself because no one was willing to get too close to her from the fear of some infection.

"She has these ugly red marks all over her face and it looks like someone set their cat free on her face...there's scratches and scars all over. No wonder she's always alone. No one wants to catch whatever nasty disease she has. You know how hard we work to keep our skins nice." Minjae continued, his eyes narrowing at me as I nodded, listening to him dumbfounded.

"Why are you so interested though?" His eyes lit up. "Wait, are you gonna find her and bully her again?" He laughed, flicking an imaginary tear out of his eyes. "Damn I would pay money to see that but unfortunately I have class. I guess I'll see you later, Jungkook." He yelled, running to his class as I hummed noncommittally.

I really didn't know how to feel about others hating Y/N so much, but I knew that before I could judge others, I needed to take a stand on what I felt about her.

If bullying her for not fitting the common beauty standards was wrong, wasn't me succumbing to peer pressure and calling her ugly wrong?

I didn't even think she was ugly.

Hell, I didn't understand what the fuck was wrong with these students, including my friends for thinking that having sensitive, easily irritated skin was a sign of ugliness.

So what if she had red cheeks?

In my eyes that only made her look cuter, like there was a permanent blush on her face. And even if on somedays her condition did escalate, she was still a thousand times better than Somin and Dani or any other so-called pretty girl in our college.

At least she didn't go around getting chummy with other guys, playing with people's hearts and judging other people for their looks.

As scarred as her exterior was, I didn't really know another person with such a pure heart and I felt like a complete asshole for attacking her for something she couldn't help.

I wasn't one to insult others for their physical appearance and other shortcomings. What had changed in the last few years to make me like that?

Was I really a slave to my peers, bending to their will and acting as they wanted me to, just to keep up my image as the ideal boy?

Why did I care so much about what others thought of me and not about Y/N who had no one to care for her?

Shaking my head, I decided to look into the Art Therapy classroom again, scanning the room for long, straight black hair that I could recognise anywhere...but she wasn't there.

Just where was she?

Standing by the door, I crossed my arms, staring at every student who entered or left the room but even after thirty minutes, she was nowhere to be seen.

Giving up, I finally entered the classroom, plopping down into my designated seat with a sigh.

As much as I hated to accept it, not seeing Y/N took all the fun out of my day. Without her, Art Therapy, no, not just Art Therapy, college was boring without her and I couldn't smile if I didn't see her at least once, and this reality was setting in, now that I was slowly realising how badly I was missing her.

There was no fun in being Jeon Jungkook—the golden boy of the university, if she wasn't here to see me at my best.

Yes, I had a massive massive crush on
Y/N. And despite that, I had managed to hurt her for what seemed like the millionth time.

You're an asshole, Jungkook.

Groaning, I slammed my sketchbook on the desk, making the girl sitting in front of me jump. I narrowed my eyes.

That was Y/N's seat. Why was some random girl sitting there?

Pursing my lips, I tapped the girl's shoulder, getting ready to tell her off.

"I think you've got the wrong seat. Get up and find yo-"

"What are you talking about. This is my seat." Y/N stared back at me expressionless and I almost did a double take.

"Uhm wh-what?" I stuttered, confused as she brushed off my hand off her shoulder.

Why the fuck was she wearing full-sleeves in such heat?

And what the fuck was wrong with her hair?

"Don't stare." She mumbled, her hand rising to her bangs. "I know what you think about me. No need to make it apparent."

Blinking at her, I tried to say something but no words came out.

Why in the world had she chopped off her hair...I loved those so much.

And why did she look so fucking cute even now? If anything, the bangs were only making her face look even more adorable than it already was.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Get a grip, Jungkook!

"You-you look like an egg." I muttered flustered as Y/N's expressions changed for a second, before she put on a brave smile again.

What the fuck, Jungkook?

How hard is it to say 'you look beautiful'? Just how hard, you fucking dumbass?

"Gee thanks." She muttered unamused and turned back around, her hair bouncing around her neck as I caught a whiff of her perfume.

I pissed her off again.

Well, fuck.