6 | the turning point

Y/N's POV

After buying some tteokbeokki from a roadside vendor, we were on our way back to the campus when I noticed the repeated glances that Jungkook kept throwing in my direction.

"What's wrong?" I laughed awkwardly, licking my lips to ensure there were no sauce stains on them.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it." He pointed towards the box of takeaway in my hand.

"It looked too good. I couldn't wait." I shrugged before shovelling another generous helping of tteokbeokki into my mouth. I could still feel Jungkook's gaze on my face but surprisingly, it didn't seem like he was judging me.

Moreover, it wasn't like I would ever have a chance to be anything more than acquaintances with Jungkook, so even if he was judging me for eating so freely, I couldn't bring myself to care.

"Are all girls like this?" His voice more curious than sarcastic so I answered.

"Mostly, yes. I mean, who doesn't love food?" I asked conversationally as Jungkook nodded.

"But then again, I'm not surprised that you're asking this. Girls also tend to eat less when they're with boys they like. I don't know why though. I'll let you draw your own conclusions."

Jungkook's POV

If what Y/N said was true...

Did she not like me romantically then? Even after what I'd said?

But then, to be honest, she had no reason to feel that way about me. I had been nothing but an asshole to her, I cringed as I was reminded of the one time I'd stolen her bag.

She'd looked for it all around the campus in bright, crackling sunlight while me and my friends had mercilessly laughed about it all day, and then for some mysterious reason she hadn't been able to attend college for the next whole week.

That once incident had been the turning point in my relationship with Y/N.

Initially, she used to react so wildly to even the slightest provocation...

I got a wild rush of excitement and of something else. Something that was much more feral, when she glared at me, her eyes flashing and her lips trembling in anger and frustration. It made me want to grab her by the neck and slam my lips onto hers.

But when she came back after that week, it was like all of her emotions for me simmered down to nothing but hatred. She ignored me like the plague and no matter what I did, I couldn't get a reaction out of her.

When I called her ugly, it was more to get a reaction out of her than to actually insult her but from the way she reacted, I could tell that she was actually genuinely hurt by my words and no matter what I'd done in the past, my intention was never to deliberately hurt her feelings.

"Thanks for the tteokbeokki though."

Y/N's voice pulled me out of my thoughts and I let out a breath. I could tell that she was feeling the spiciness hit her but she smiled and stopped at the gates of the university.

"I'll stay back for a couple of minutes. You go in first." She smiled, making me pull to a stop.

"What do you mean?" I frowned.

Surely, it wasn't because she was hesitant of being seen walking in with me?

"I'm not going in without you." I said, my tone ringing with finality. "When I said I was sorry, I meant it. If we went out together, we'll also go back inside together because no matter what others say, I have never considered myself to be in a different league."

Surprised, Y/N nodded as I grabbed her hand and led her inside, walking towards the cafeteria.

The happiness I felt to have her little hand wrapped around mine was indescribable. It was like finding a glove that fit perfectly right.

But the bubble of happiness was short-lived as Y/N immediately pulled her hand away from mine, her brow furrowed.

I could somehow tell that she wasn't angry, but still it was clear that she found my clingy behaviour rather unnerving.

"I should go back to my class now." She mumbled. "There's barely any time left for the classes to start again."

I noticed that her cheeks were beginning to get really red and her eyes were tearing up as if she were irritated by something.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked panicked as she shook her head and started to run away from me.

Standing there utterly confused, I watched as she turned around the corner and bounded across the corridor with weak but hurried steps.

Extremely worried, I couldn't help but follow her and caught up with her just in time to see her familiar full-sleeved T-shirt disappearing inside the girl's washrooms.

Without a thought, I burst inside not caring if I would be expelled for this behaviour.

In that moment, I couldn't be bothered to follow any rules or go by any code of conduct. The only thought that was completely taking over my mind was that I wanted to be there for Y/N through whatever she was going.

Breathing hard, I finally stopped, my shoes squeaking against the clean tiled floor as I took in her figure bent over one of the sinks, swiftly splashing water across her face.

Her chest was heaving as she struggled to push her short hair away from her face...and she'd gotten rid of her shirt, discarding it on the marble-top counter as water dripped down all over her arms.

Acting on an instinct, I quickly rushed to her, pushing away any irrelevant thoughts that could distract me from the situation at hand and grabbed her hair, collecting it gently in both my hands and pulling it away from her face.

Y/N stiffened slightly but then whimpering softy she continued to pour water all over her face and arms when she realised that I didn't intend to do anything bad.

I noticed the redness that had begun to creep up all over her neck but I couldn't tell whether it was because of her skin or because of me. I didn't have time to think too much either because suddenly Y/N stilled completely.

Concerned, I looked up to meet her eyes in the mirror. Her eyes were wide and desperate, water sticking to her lashes and sliding down her cheeks as her mouth trembled.

I noticed the smears of blood across her cheeks and I saw her hand that she'd raised along her arms, as if she was trying hard to hold herself back from itching.

"Can you step out for a second, Jungkook?" Her voice shook, tight with tension but my own throat was choking up.

She had an actual skin disorder?

And that had been triggered by something during the time she was with me?

"I-is it because of the sun?" I questioned her, dread spreading through my body. I felt so fucking guilty to see Y/N in so much pain that she was close to tearing up.

When she didn't answer, her fingers dragging against her skin helplessly as she began to shake, I felt tears stinging my own eyes.

But I couldn't get weak. Not now.

My eyes fell on her bag that was now on the floor, a couple of tubes and bottles spilling out.
Hastily, picking all of it up, I fixed my gaze on hers through the mirror, swallowing hard.

"Take off your clothes and get on the countertop." I instructed. "Now!"