Chapter Twenty-Three

I walked down the halls of the palace holding onto Loki's arm.

"You'll be alright," he murmured, sensing my nervousness.

"I'm sure I will. I have you," I replied sweetly.

We entered the massive dining room. The roof was domed glass, and I could see the stars glittering in the sky. Thor was already standing behind his chair. He winked at me as I was led to the chair opposite him, Loki positioning himself beside me.

After a few moments, Odin and Frigga entered the room. Frigga smiled kindly at me, while Odin barely acknowledged my existence. Once Odin reached his seat we were allowed to sit.

Loki pulled my chair out for me and I sat down.

I looked at the place setting and froze.

There were too many pieces of cutlery. There were three pieces on each side. Two knives, two forks and two spoons.

Don't worry, Love, Loki said in my mind. Just use them from the outside inwards.

I took a deep breath to calm myself. This was way too fancy, and I lived with Tony freaking Stark.

Our first course was a soup that tasted delicious. There was a little bit of chatter here and there, but nothing much. Loki once again seemed tense. He was always tense when Odin was around.

"So, y/n, what do you think of Asgard?" Frigga asked me kindly.

"I think it's lovely," I replied. "There's nothing like it on Midgard. It's like it came straight out of a fairy-tale."

Frigga smiled at me again. We continued eating in silence.

"Thor, how is Jane?" Odin asked.

Thor replied that she was well.

"You should meet her," Odin said, pointing his fork at me. "Very smart. And kind."

"I think I've met her a few times," I replied. "At some of Tony's parties."

Odin nodded at me and then continued to dote upon Thor. I could sense Loki's annoyance and place a comforting hand on his leg under the table. He seemed to relax at the touch.

The rest of the dinner was uneventful and, if I was being completely honest, boring. Once it was finished, Loki and I excused ourselves for some time together. We went back to my room.

We walked onto the balcony and looked out over the darkened kingdom.

"It's beautiful," I whispered.

Loki put an arm around me and kissed my temple.

"Not as beautiful as you."

I smiled turning to him. I kissed him sweetly, pulling back only when I required air. I looked back at the view and sighed.

"I wish I could control it," I said disappointedly, tears of frustration in my eyes.

"You just need to let go of your fear," he said.

"I know!" I yelled frustratedly. "But I can't! I just can't! I've hurt people before, but never someone I love! What if I hurt you? I would never forgive myself!"

I left his side and walked to the edge of the balcony. I stood on the rim.

"Look! I can stand here, because I know that if I fall, I can save myself! You won't be harmed!"

I jumped back down onto the balcony and shook my head.

"I just don't understand," I whispered.

Loki slowly approached me. He placed his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my head.

"I believe in you, Love," he said, kissing my hair. "Besides, I don't think you could hurt me even if you wanted to."

I turned around in his arms to look at him quizzically.

"Didn't you say that I was more powerful than Thor?" I asked.

He sighed, rolling his eyes, and shaking his head.

"I'm sure you could take me down, but that's not what I meant. When... when I came to recue you, you were alight. But when I walked through the flames, they didn't burn me," he explained.

I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

"You are just like my brother. Running into fire to show off," I said, shaking my head.

"I'm serious," he said.

I looked at him with my eyebrow raised.

"I think that you can't hurt the people you love," he said quietly.

I stopped. I thought about it. Pietro always said that he never felt the heat when he ran through my flames, and I remember an icicle melting before hitting Wanda during training.

Could it be true?

"I – can I try something?" I asked hesitantly.

Loki nodded at me.

"I trust you with my life," he said quietly.

I slowly took the limiters off my wrist. This time, nothing appeared. I reached a tentative hand towards his face and cupped his cheek. He grabbed my wrist and kissed my palm.

"See, Love?"

I looked at my hand in wonder. I lit a flame in my hand.

"You won't hurt anyone. Unless you want to, of course," he said cheekily.

I just rolled my eyes and kissed him passionately, throwing away the limiters.

A/N

It is very hot and I am sleep deprived. Anyways have a nice day/night and thank you for reading!

P.S. Meme isn't mine <3

~LadyLokiLaufeyson