prologue: a billet-doux exclusively written for him

Jung Sungchan.

Back then, and even up to this day, this very moment, each time the thought of you flashed across my overly tangled mind, my face would be lit up with a bright smile. That's just what you are, like how I remember it vividly— my personal source of happiness. The spot I reserved for you in my life has yet to be occupied, every second that I spent with you remained spectacularly remarkable and each memory I had revolving around you, I was still holding on to them tightly.

That six years-worthy of bittersweet whiles I knew would be engraved permanently in my head. 

Even as time flies, my heart never gets tired of loving you, missing you and yearning for you. First love dies hard, but I know for a fact I'm more than capable to love you for an eternity. 

It felt like yesterday when your smile managed to drown out all the sadness clouding my head. That healing, comforting smile of yours that you generously give me to assure me, to accompany me and to fix me at the lowest point in my life. Now that I truly look back, there's always part of me that was made up of a touch of your finesse, confidence and support. 

"Don't hold back, Aera." — and your words lingered despite your fading presence. It brought me to places I always imagine myself to be. It brings out the best of me I am never aware of. 

I always wonder. "What goes wrong? What put us... in this position?"

It happened randomly. On the subway, on my night shift while tucking the patients to bed, on the convenience store where I could seem to imagine your silhouette among the racks. I blamed our messy line of fate, sometimes myself. I couldn't grow used to not having you around, I was still clinging onto the smallest possibilities.

I wished your tall figure could walk next to my smaller frame for a longer timeline, for a longer run and distance. Even not as lovers, just as friends, with who I could share all of the great and bad things happening in my life. You were my sanctuary, Sungchan, and pardon me for my inability to let you slip through the gaps of my life. The fact that we're not talking suffocated me and even with so many people around me, I always seek for you in the crowds and silently thought. "Ah, it must be nice to have you here, too."

There's a part of me that wished I could tell you much sooner.

You're more than enough. I knew what was going on, Chan. I knew enough that it slowly kills you inside. That's a lot to take in for an 18-years-old kid but you did so well, didn't you?

Time wasn't in our favour back then and even now. We were the half-written endings, ignored and strayed. Never meant to be on the same page or be given a chance for proper closure.

Today, you will officially belong to hers, with an oath made in front of God and the heaven above. I loved you and it will no longer roll that way. Let's live a happy life, Chan, even if we're not destined together. 

Your bestfriend, 

Lee Aera.

.・゜-: ✧ :-  -: ✧ :-゜・.

CHARACTERS

IU as LEE AERA