Part 6

3rd Person POV 

Illumi suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. Nothing was going on and he was safe and sound but he had a bad feeling. His first reflex was to get the car and drive to Y/n's house that was close to his hotel room. When he arrived there he was right. Y/n was in her bed, sleeping. She was having a nightmare. She was shaking, her brows knitted together. She was mumbling nonsense.

Illumi not knowing what to do and got closer to her. She suddenly woke up with a gasp. Breathing heavily, she was covered in sweat and tears were threatening to roll down her face.

Illumi with a hint of confusion asked "What's the matter"

Y/n didn't answer, taking slow deep breaths. Trying to calm herself down. She just couldn't. She tried a few techniques that she learned over time "look at 5 things, touch them describe them, take deep breaths, count". No matter what she tried she still felt weak, breathless, hurt. That annoying but awfully familiar feeling came back to her throat and once again she was on the verge of tears. Her lips quivering, she was trying to not sob and break down for the second time but it was harder.

Illumi silently watching her face decompose, wondering what to do. He just stared at her, knowing she was fighting the tears. Lost, deep in her thoughts. He hated seeing her like that, she was such a pure and good soul. Innocent in a way, never hurt anybody. In his opinion she didn't deserve sadness. He got on her bed in front of her and hugged her. She silently slid her arms around his back and tightly grabbed him, they were stuck against each other. He stayed silent as she sobbed, staining his shirt with tears.

A few moments later when she was done crying, Illumi gently raised her wet face by the chin and made her look at him.

"Can you tell me what happened now?". His tone and emotionless as always but it was soft and low.

Y/n wiped her tears and with a shaky voice shared a part of her story. A secret more accurately. Something so insignificant for the Zoldyck family kept her up at night. "I've had nightmares for a long time"

"What are they about?"

"Long ago, well a few years back I did something horrible that I still regret"

"What did you do?" Illumi intrigued. What was so horrible that it kept her up at night for so long?

"I killed someone" Y/n harshly closed her eyes. The scene flashing back in her mind, for a moment it was like she was there. She could feel his warm blood on her face, she could hear his screams, she could hear his sobs, she could feel her pain.

"How did it happen?". Illumi was surprised. Who would've though, Y/n the kind girl could kill someone.

"He was very abusive to my little brother and that day he really crossed the line and I got furious. And- and, I beat him, then I shot him. When the cops made it to his house he was dead and I already left. I didn't want to, I didn't mean to kill him, I- I just lost it. When I shot him and he fell to the floor and started screaming and crying, he grabbed me and apologized saying he was too afraid to die. I remember not feeling anything in the heat of the moment. I got my gun, and shot him twice in the head. I cleaned everything up and left. They didn't suspect me but every time I try to sleep or even close my eyes his dead body just comes flashing in my mind and I can't get rid of it."

Illumi nodded and looked at her. He didn't know what to say so he just held her tighter and said "It was just a dream, go back to sleep".

Y/n laid down on her bed, Illumi was about to stand up when she grabbed his sleeve. "Please stay with me". He looked at her and felt his heart break, she looked so sad. He laid down beside her and put his arms around her waist. After a few minutes her breathing was calmer, he looked at her sleeping figure. She seemed so calm, peaceful. He held her tighter and this time he was the one who didn't want her to leave. He wasn't familiar to this feeling but he always felt so warm and happy when he was around her. He wanted to be close to her forever, to hold her close and kiss her soft lips. He fell asleep a few minutes later.