10 facts about baboons

1. The canine teeth of an adult male baboon are longer than those of a leopard. He will use them in yawning threat displays to rivals but also as lethal weapons, both in attack and self-defence.

2.Baboons, like us, rely on subtle social skills for survival. A lower-ranking male will even use strategic child-care – looking after the infant of a higher-ranking female – in order to elevate his status within the group.

3. Baboons are omnivores. They feed on anything from fruit and seed pods to birds' eggs and invertebrates, and will kill and eat animals as large as hares or new-born antelope.

4. You can tell where a troop of baboons has been foraging, from all the stones they turn over while searching for tasty titbits such as scorpions.

5. Baboons use over 30 vocalisations to communicate, including grunts, barks and screams. They also employ numerous non-vocal gestures, including yawns, lip smacking and shoulder shrugs.

6. The lifespan is about 30 years in the wild and up to 45 years in captivity.

7. The Guinea baboon is 50 cm (20 in) and weighs only 14 kg (31 lb), while the largest can be 120 cm (47 in) and weigh 40 kg (88 lb).

8. Their colour varies from olive-green to yellow, silver and brown depending on the species.

9. A troop of baboons can range in number from 10 to over 200 members, depending upon the availability of food. 

10. The baboon's primary predators are humans, cheetahs and leopards.

⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘⁘

Which one of these were already stored in your brain attic? Which ones did you just add to your brain attic? Comment!

If you have any feedback or suggestions that I could use to make this book better, feel free to message me with them!

Stay safe :)