A Gift

Fiona pov

It's been almost two weeks since we moved in. We are getting used to the new place,new environment. I love feeling of warm sun on my face while waking up. The sight of sun peeking out of the tall trees in the morning as if playing hide and seek. The feel of the cool breeze on me while I on the swing sipping on hot chocolate. Or riding the bicycle through the woods to the town to get books and groceries. Climbing on the rooftop at night to gaze at the stars has become my favorite things to do lately.

I was reading 'the lying game 'series sitting under a tree hiding from the scorching sun when I heard someone call my name. It was Jax . After our first meet it had become a routine for us to meet after lunch and spend time together reading or talking, or just chilling.

"I brought muffins. I just made them so be careful they are hot." He said making his way over and sitting beside me. I took one as soon as he sat down beside me completely forgetting about them being hot. What?! They are muffins. MUFFINS!!

" Ow!Ow! Ow! It's really hot, really really hot." I exclaimed keeping the muffin back in the basket." Didn't I just tell you that they are hot, why don't you listen first? Now look your hands got burnt. Seriously you are like a small child. Take your eyes off from you for a second and bam you injure yourself. It is a definite mystery how you managed to live so long....."

Annoyed he continued his rant while I just keep looking at him while having a goofy smile on my face. This is another thing of him that I noticed is that he cares for me too much of course as a friend. Whenever I become clumsy or hurt myself he becomes overly concerned. I found it weird at first but he told me that that is how he is. He likes to take care of people. So since I'm clumsy always he too is worried always.

He once was ready to take me to hospital just because I scraped my knee a little. It was just a scratch but he made such a big deal.
It took an hour to convince him that I was fine. Since then he made it his job to make sure that I was fine or safe in his words.

After 10 minutes when I didn't show any reaction he realised that he again had been ranting off. He smiled bashfully and gave me a muffin which had cooled off a little in between his rant. We both sat there reading and eating muffins with a comfortable silence surrounding excluding the birds chirping and a breeze. A little chit chat here and there.

I was reading a scene when the girls make plan to prank their friends when suddenly a gift wrapped beautifully right before my nose blocking the letters. I was startled a bit. When I looked I saw Jax sitting there having a shy smile and eyes gazing at me hopefully.

I took it from his hands and opened it carefully not to destroy the beautiful wrapping. It was clear he took an effort. Usually I don't care but I couldn't. His efforts would go waste. So I took my time opening it. Inside laid the most beautiful bracelet. It was silver one with stars . The strings were woven together with star charms on them. It looked so beautiful. It was beautiful.

"It is so beautiful Jax. You didn't have to do this." I said not taking my eyes off the bracelet.

" It's no problem. It is just a welcome gift. Do you like it? " He asked with a nervous glint in his eyes.

" Like it? Jax I love it. It is so beautiful. Thank you so much Jax." I hug him not being able to contain my happiness. I started getting nervous when he didn't return it. Shit did I mess up? I started backing away when he hugged me.

We both backed up after a while. Jax was blushing while I too felt my face heating up. He helped me put the bracelet on. We both again fell in comfortable silence. Going back to reading. I once again gazed at the bracelet.

The sun was setting. Soon it was time to leave. It was late. We both left with the promise of meeting again tomorrow. I had a satisfied smile on my face of making a new friend. I waved bye once again before turning to home. Happy.

Little did I know that my life would take a turn for worst. Soon.