Chapter 40

Three years ago.

As he walks through the hallway while holding his notepad, peeking through the window of every room of patients he passes, the doctor hums a random song but comes to a halt when a sudden room catches his attention.

"Taera?" He muttered underneath his breath, walking inside the room to assure himself. Thankfully, the said girl was sleeping peacefully.

"Taera it's you." Once the doctor checked her birthmark in Taera's hand to assure himself if the girl really is his friend that he's been longing to see again, he hugged her, causing Taera to wake up.

"Taera, I missed you so much."

Taera could only watch him, not believing she was seeing the person that she truly loved with all her heart.

"Taera, I missed you. Can't you recognize me anymore? I'm Dohyun, Kang Dohyun."

"I know." Taera smiled weakly as her friend frowned, wiping his tears. That's the time he came to the realization that his friend is sick. Her skin is pale, her lips all white, her eyes droopy, her breathing isn't normal and even though her head was covered by a beanie, Dohyun can sense that she doesn't have any hair anymore. With that, he can immediately say that she probably has leukemia.

"What happened to you? Did you know that I was looking for you for how many years? You're suffering leukemia, am I right? Who takes care of you? Did your parents know about this? Why can't I see any of them here with you?" Dohyun held his hands and kissed it while Taera just chuckled, but deep inside she's panicking that her son might suddenly come back to the room, not wanting to go to school again because he preferred taking care of her.

"Yes I have leukemia and Taehyun was the one who's taking care of me." She replied.

"Who's Taehyun? Are you participating in chemotherapy then?" Dohyun asked.

"Only before." She replied.

"Only before?"

Taera nodded. "I stopped participating because we don't have enough money for it anymore."

"What?! Fuck money. You should've still continued participating in it. God, did Taehyun also give up on your therapy session and didn't do something? Can I talk to him? Who is he? Your husband?" Dohyun asked. Taera just chuckled.

"He ain't my husband. He's only 15 years old and the money he earns is just for food and for my medicines."

"Taehyun? 15 years old?" Taera nodded, feeling her eyelids getting heavier. And before she could close her eyes, she muttered something.

"I love you Dohyun."

Dohyun just smiled and kissed her hand. "And I love you too." He said but unable for the girl to hear it.

Dohyun smiled faintly after reminiscing about that time. That day, when he finally found his missing friend, is also the day she died.

Dohyun soon found himself mumbling to no other one but to himself as he remembered now where he heard the name Taehyun before. "Could it be Taera was referring to Taehyun before? There's a lot of people named Taehyun, but could it be possible that it's him? Taera died 3 years ago and Taehyun is now 18 and he was 15 when Taera died." He said to himself. If someone might see him, they'll certainly think he has a mental illness.

He ruffled his hair in frustration as he groaned from thinking something that isn't necessary. He sighed before continuing his work.

When all of a sudden, the door flung open which made him flinch. He looked at the opened door, showing a panting Gyumi while clenching her chest.