I love you, okay? (James Madison x reader)

Word count: 960

Warnings: a lil angst but mostly fluff

—————————————————————————

James POV

Y/n has been gone all day. The best part? I'm sick. Woohoo! Usually Y/n wouldn't leave but she made plans with her other friend, Mark, or whatever his name was. So here I am, sitting alone, while my bff/roommate/crush was out hanging with him.

My phone went off with a pleasant 'Ding'. I picked it up and saw that Y/n had made a post on insta. Huh?
I slid the notification bar open and put in my passcode (Y/n's birthday) and saw what popped up.
Mark and her. 'Hanging out'. He was kissing her cheek. And she was liking it. He was kissing my girl's cheek.

She isn't your's James, I mentally scolded myself, but oh how I wish she was mine. And to put myself through some more angst I read the caption. The fucking caption is what made me see red.

'Here at the park with my ONE and ONLY BFF Mark! I'd marry him if he wasn't my friend 👀👀'

One and only?! My possessive side began to show. A side I didn't even know I had. Suddenly I didn't feel sick anymore. I felt energized. I felt.....pissed. That's when I heard keys jingling in the doorway. Speak of the devil.

"Jimmy James!!! I'm home!!" Y/n sang/shouted from the door. "What's with the noise? Jesus Y/n!" I scoffed, getting back to my book. This hurts me so much Y/n but it's payback time. "You okay?" She asked, the look in her eyes almost make me want to forgive her and forget this mess. Almost. "Yeah, I just had a fight with my girlfriend." I partially lied, I did have a fight, just not with a girlfriend. "Oh! I uh I didn't know you had a girlfriend!" Y/n said, her mood killed.

"What happened between you and her?" She asked hesitantly, unsure if she wished to continue this conversation. "She hung out with her friends and told me that she'd 'make it up' to me, but really it means she doesn't care about me." I said, telling the full truth. Because the love of my life did choose someone over me. The love of my life doesn't care about me.

"Well, I think she's wrong for that. You're the best! Who would choose their friends over you?" Y/n said with a half-smile, attempting to cheer me up. If you only knew Y/n. "Well I think I wanna break up with yo- her!" Saved it. "Over that?" Y/n questioned, her smile growing at her crush finally being back on the market. Not that he knew. "Yeah. Whatever though. How was your day?" I asked forcefully. "It was awesome! Mark is LITERALLY the funniest guy alive! And he was joking around acting like we were a couple and-" "I have to go!" I said standing up abruptly and walking to my room angrily.

Y/n's POV

What the-?, "James? James come back here!" I called after him pitifully. I heard the door slam loudly. Was he jealous?, You thought mischievously, I'll let him cool down for a few minutes, he'll probably come out of his room by then.

Right?

4 hours later

He did not come out of his room. So you decided you were going to check on him. "James? Can I come in? Please?" You asked softly, waiting for a reply. All you heard were sniffles. Sweetheart don't cry, you thought, not verbalizing your thoughts.

Gently opening the door, you saw James wrapped up in a blanket and cuddling a pillow. "Hey," He whispered, "What was that about?" You asked him. "Jealous," James answered like a depressed toddler, causing you to smile affectionately. "Of what?" You pried, "Him," continuing his short replies. "Why?" You questioned, moving closer to him. "Because I-I just- never mind" he mumbled. "No, tell me." You told him, taking his large hand in yours. Bringing it up to your lips to kiss it.

He buried his face in the pillow and mumbled something. "What was that?" You said, absentmindedly pressing kisses to his fingers. "I love you, okay?" James said quickly, lifting his head from the pillows.

"Y-you what?" You breathed. Regret instantly flashed across his face. "Never mind. I shouldn't have said anything-" You cut him off with a kiss. As cliche as is sounds it was electrifying. You brought your hand up to cradle his cheek, while the other stroked his beard. The kiss was soft and intimate. The best feeling in the world had to be James' top lip moving against yours. You slowly pulled away, still hold his face like it would break if you held it tighter.

"Good. I love you too." "Then what was that caption?" James asked, still a little dazed by the kiss. "I was joking, my love. He's gay." You laughed a little, kissing his forehead. For the first time that day James face lit up. He brought you under the blanket and buried his face in your neck. You let out a loud laugh, making him laugh too. You two laughed like that for a few minutes. When you finally calmed down James asked, "Will you make me the happiest man alive and let me call you mine?" "I was always yours James." You reassured him, pecking his nose.

"You wanna watch Harry Potter?" He asked, "DUH!"

James wrapped you in his blanket and arms and pressed play. You felt safe in his muscular arms. You felt at home. Pressing a kiss to his jaw you let yourself slip into a deep sleep, finally at peace. Finally at home. Damn did you love this man.