Chapter 5: The Attic

Celene

      I turn and look around the room. I feel a set of hands on my shoulders and I feel heat permeate through the fabric. I look into Leo's face and into his honey eyes.

      "Wow... How did I not notice your eyes are flecked with orange?" I asks softly as I take a step closer to him.

      The only one who hasn't touched me yet is Owen. It's happened with every one of his brothers, so why wouldn't it with him?

I move away from Leo and walk up to Owen. I look into his eyes and slide my hand up his arm. 

      Fire burns in me hotter than every before. I gasp and step back.

      "Why does that happen when I touch you? Why can't I control myself around you? What is happening?"

My head starts to spin and I prop myself up on the wall.

      "Whoa. Are you okay Celene?"

      "I need to sit down," I say as I pant and place my hand on my head.

I drop down on my knees and sit there for a moment as the world around me moves faster and faster. I hear crackling and look down at my fingers.

      "Not again. Not now," I say as I try to force myself to stand.

      My hand touches the wall and scorches it. I look at my hand and watch as purple electricity bounces around. Damien squats down next to me and takes my hand.

      "No, don't!"

I watch with wide eyes as the purple runs up his arm and turns blue. It dances over his chest and down his other arm.

      I watch as it jumps into me and sends heat back through my body, making my back arch. I gasp and pant as I look into his eyes.

      "What the hell is going on Damien? I've heard of sparks between people but that wasn't literal," I say exasperated.

He just stares at me as I stand.

      "Anyone else thirsty and hungry?" I ask.

My legs feel weak again and then the world around me goes black. I wake up a few minutes later to whispering voices.

      "Are you sure Damien?"

      "I mean we all felt it. What else could it be?"

      "I've never felt anything like it Leo. There's no other explanation."

      "Guys. She's awake."

      I sit up and look around.

      "Water," I rasp, feeling hoarse.

      "Here," says Marcus as he hands me a cup and our fingers touch.

I feel the fire and electricity. I watch as it jumps from me and turns green as it touches him. I gulp the water down and reach the cup to him.

      "More, please."

He nods and grabs a pitcher.

      I stand up and take it from him. I chug the entire pitcher of water and hand it back to him.

      "That's better, thanks."

I walk back over to where I was lying earlier and sit down.

      "Anyone care to explain what is happening to me or why I'm so thirsty every time this happens?" I ask as I lift my hands and purple sparks run up my arms.

      "Marcus, go get more water," says Damien.

      "Grab some food too, while you're down there," Owen says as he looks me over.

Marcus looks at me and nods. Every hair on my body is standing on end. Damien steps closer before leveling with me.

      "All right, listen to me Celene. You just have to try to calm yourself down. How long has this been happening for?"

      "Since yesterday, after I met you guys," I say as the electricity dances up my arms and burns my shirt.

      I smack it, before it can catch on fire, and groan.

      "I'm gonna have to take my clothes off before I destroy them," I say as I stand and huff.

I start to unbutton my plaid shirt and fold it.

      "Not if you get yourself under control," Damien says.

I cock my eyebrow and push my tongue against my cheek as I tilt my head slightly.

      "I'm not taking that chance. Don't worry, I'm wearing underwear," I say as I slip my crop top off and pop the buttons of my shorts loose before dropping them to the floor just as Marcus walks in holding a pitcher and some fruit.

I smile at him and kick my shorts off my shoes.

      "Great, more water. Thank you," I say as I grab the pitcher and the grapes.

I walk back to my spot and sit down  shoving my clothes away and pulling my chucks off.

      "Why is she in her underwear?" Marcus asks as he stares at me.

      "She started burning her clothes," Leo says as he turns away from the window.

      I watch as they look at me and I swallow hard.

      "You guys are acting like you've never seen a girl in her underwear before," I say with a smirk.

Damien crosses his arms over his chest and sighs.

      "How old are you Celene?" he asks.

      "As of yesterday I'm twenty-three. Why?" I ask a little confused.

      "Okay. Now, don't get offended, were you a late bloomer?"

I turn red and become extremely self-conscious. I cross my arms over my chest to comfort myself.

      "Why do you need to know that?"

      "It's important," says Owen as he steps away from the door he was leaning against.

      "Okay. Yeah. I was a late bloomer," I say with my eyes cast down.

      "How late?"

      "Um, fifteen," I mumble.

      Lies.

      "Fifteen? Okay, that's fine," says Marcus.

I groan as I roll my eyes and look at the wall.

      "Okay, I was eighteen. Happy now?"

      "That's what I thought," says Owen.

      I bring my knees to my chest, feeling a little humiliated.

      "Why was that so important?" I ask.

      "You should've displayed this when you were eighteen but since you were so late , they're manifesting now," says Leo.

      "Now more importantly, why did you pick this tattoo last year?" Owen asks as he lifts his shirt and I see the scorpion on his chest.

      "I was drawn to it," I say as I stand up.

      "It was so strange. It was the first thing I saw on the wall. I didn't think twice about it."

I pull down the edge of my underwear over my hip.

      "I had it incorporated in this hibiscus flower. I always thought it was weird that I left the center empty," I say as the boys get closer.