Chapter 12: Story Time

Celene

      I wake up coughing. As I look around the room, I notice that night has fallen. I try to find a lamp but remember that I broke it earlier. I search the floor for glass remnants before looking for a cup of water. I cover my mouth as I cough harder.

      I move quickly to the bathroom down the hall and try to use my hands to make a cup. I scoop up as much water as I can with my hands and drink it, but it doesn't solve the problem. I get frustrated and stick my face under the faucet. I gulp down as much as I can before leaving the bathroom. I cough harder, to the point of pain.

      I cover my mouth as I violently cough outside the bathroom. I look down at my hand and see droplets of blood splattered on my palm. I wipe my mouth and cough some more. As I walk toward the closest door, thinking it's Marcus's, I stumble and prop myself up on the wall. I slide my hand down when I walk away, leaving a bloody handprint.

      Each step toward the door is a struggle and I fall to my knees. I drag myself to the door as I cough, spraying blood all over the bottom of it. I smack at the door weakly as I wheeze. The door pops open and I look up to see Damien.

      "What-What are y-you doing in M-Marcus's room?" I ask as I wheeze.

      "Shit..."

I cough hard again and blood drips from my lips.

      "M-Marcus- Get Marcus," I wheeze and Damien scoops me up before running to another door.

      "Wake up Marcus! There's something wrong with Celene!" he shouts as he pounds on the door.

      "Stay awake Celene," he whispers as Marcus opens the door and ushers us in.

      I smile as I touch Damien's face.

      "I was s-so worried a-about y-you Damien. I-I missed you," I say as I gasp for a little more air.

      "Look at you worrying about me when you should worry about yourself," he chuckles softly.

I give a wheeze filled laugh ending in a cough. I look over at Marcus as Damien sits on Marcus's bed cradling me. He flips through a book with a perplexed expression and chucks it aside before grabbing another.

      "I don't understand. This shouldn't be happening. I made sure to get rid of all of the sand. Maybe I need to check and get rid of whatever's left," he mutters to himself before throwing that book down on top of the other.

      "What do you mean? Marcus? She's practically drowning in her own blood. Do something," Damien demands, desperate.

      "I'm trying Damien," Marcus says exasperated.

He struts out of the room, leaving me alone with Damien as my breathing grows more shallow.

      He strokes my hair and continues to tell me to stay awake.

      "I know you're tired, but you need to stay awake Celene," he says softly.

      "H-Help m-me st-stay awake th-then," I whisper as I wheeze some more.

Silence falls over the room as I wait for Damien to speak. I look up at him and see that he's staring into my eyes.

      "W-What's the p-plan?" I ask as I stare into his blue eyes.

He wraps his arms around me tighter.

      "I'm going to tell you a story," he says and looks at the door uneasily.