Chapter 30: The Hospital

Celene

       Someone knocks on the door and then it opens. An officer steps in and gives me a warm smile.

      "Good to see you awake Miss O'Connor. Now, these four have told me what happened, but I need you to clarify some things for me. Don't worry it will be painless," he says with a soft smile.

I flinch slightly when he says painless and he notices.

      "My apologies. What I meant was that it will be quick and simple."

I look at Damien and Marcus, who speaks up.

      "He's one of us Celene. It's okay."

I look at the officer who gives me dazzling smile.

      "Officer Sam Donnaly. You can call me Sam."

      I see fire flash in his eyes as he smiles at me. I tilt my head slightly to the side.

      "Fire manipulation... And... Something else..."

      "Air," he says with a most charming smile that almost melts my heart.

      "You and Leo must know each other well," I say as I look at Leo who is staring out the nearby window as if to avoid Sam.

      "Oh... I'm not even gonna ask," I say with a chuckle and I turn my attention back to Sam.

      "You want me to tell you what I remember?" I ask.

Sam nods and takes out a small notepad and a pen. I tell him everything that I remember. Every detail about the test up until everything turned black.

      "Thank you Celene. Now, the official report is going to say that someone started a fire in the cave behind your house. The people responsible were nowhere to be found and whatever they used to make the fire so large and hot was undetermined as you couldn't smell or see an accelerant. You went in by yourself because you thought you could extinguish it on your own, but were soon overwhelmed. The fire backed you up against the back wall of the cave and trapped you inside. Everything else will be added from the reports the police, EMTs and the hospital provided," he says as he looks into my eyes.

      "Thank you Sam," says Marcus.

       Sam looks at him and nods.

      "Be seeing you around."

I watch him leave and look at Damien.

      "Should I wait for someone to look me over before I leave?"

      "Someone should definitely look you over, but I doubt they will release you after being in a coma for a year," says Marcus as he looks into my face.

      "I'll go find a nurse."

Marcus leaves the room and I pull the blanket off of my body. I huff and swing my legs over the edge of the bed. I look out the window and put my feet on the floor. I stand slowly with some effort.

      Once I am standing up right, I try to take a step and fall flat on my face. I huff again, blowing strands of my hair that fell in my face, and rub my leg.

      "Should've guessed that walking wasn't going to be easy," I say, annoyed with myself.

      "Are you okay?" both Leo and Damien ask as they hurry to help me up.

The door opens just as they are hoisting me up off the floor.

      "She tried to walk, didn't she?" asks the nurse in the doorway.

      "Yup," I say as I look at her.

      "Most people have a hard time walking after being in a coma for a few weeks, but with the extent of your injuries and the fact you were in a coma for a year, I'm surprised you could even stand. I've signed you up for physical therapy starting today. You're going to be seeing a lot of me over the next few months. You can call me June," she says with a smile.