Chapter 11: Recovery

Celene

      I open my eyes slowly as I'm feeling groggy. I look around and try to blink away the fuzziness. I sit up very carefully, wondering where I am. I pull the sheets off my body with my left hand after I look down and see my right arm in a sling.

      "Yup. I remember that," I say as I try to stand up and immediately fall into the nightstand, knocking the lamp to the floor.

It shatters as soon as it hits the floor and I gasp.

      I'm back at the door, just before I open it. I reach out and twist the knob. I'm shaken out of my state before I can open the door.

      "Hey... Are you okay?" Leo asks and I shuffle a bit as I pull my hand back to my body as it was just hanging it the air.

      "Watch your step. Don't want to cut your foot, do you?"

I look around, dazed, until my eyes land on him. I smile at him faintly.

      "Hey... I'm so happy to see you Leo. How long have I been out?" I croak.

      "Um... Sit down for a sec," he says with his hands on my shoulders as he looks into my eyes.

      I let him sit me down and wait for him to continue.

      "Okay... You've been in and out for a couple of weeks Celene. Do you remember what happened?" he asks as he sets his hand on top of my knee.

I clear my throat before I even dare to try to speak again.

     "I remember a little bit. I remember feeling like I was burning alive and then drowning."

      "Keep going," he encourages.

      "Um... I remember freezing and you guys warming me up. Then you guys fell asleep and it was just me and Marcus. He took me to his room and- Um... I fell asleep in his room and I dreamt about a storm. I was on the beach with a storm raging above me. I watched as lightning struck the sand around me three times. One in front, one to the left and one to the right. The first one was blue and it hit in front of me. The second was orange and it hit to my left. The third was green and it hit on my right. I remember waiting for a fourth one, a white one, but it didn't hit the sand," I say as I furrow my brows at the memory, searching for meaning.

      "Where did it hit?" he asks.

      "It struck me right in the heart. I felt myself die and then I woke up on that very same beach with a huge storm brewing overhead. I felt electricity flowing through my veins and I knew exactly what to do. I don't know how or why but I know that I had to. I shot every bit of lightning I had into the storm. As it shot out of my hand it turned different colors to match each strike from the dream, except for-"

      "The white?" he asks.

I nod before continuing.

      "The sky refused my lightning and threw it back into my chest," I pause and rub my palm over the sensitive flesh under my clavicle.

      "A vortex of sand spun around me, cutting my skin and filling my lungs. Then, I hear Damien calling for me, but the sky didn't seem to like that so it struck the ground with blue lightning and I couldn't hear him anymore. Oh God. Please tell me he's okay," I say as I tug on Leo's sleeve, tears in my eyes.

      "He's fine Celene. I promise. He woke up with you on him," Leo says and squeezes my hand, assuring me.

      "What happened next?"

      "I was so scared and I thought I could get out if I went into the waster, but when I tried-" I say as I lift my right arm.

      "Yeah," he says as he nods.

      "I decided to try again and dug deep down. I threw my arm up toward the sky and screamed as I let everything loose. I still had to dig deeper for the white lightning, but when I did, It shot out of my chest. Everything went quiet and then I started looking for Damien. I found him on the ground and went over to him even though I could barely breathe. I wanted to make sure he was okay, but I was so weak- From the blood loss and not being able to breathe, that I just rested my head on his chest- And I died or, at least, that's how it felt to me," I choke out as tears stream down my cheeks.

      "Sh. Sh. It's okay Celene. You're safe. Damien's safe. Everything going to be fine," Leo says as he strokes my hair.

I rest my head on his shoulder as I relax and calm down. He continuously strokes my hair and rubs my back until I look up at him.

      "I feel really tired Leo. I think I need to rest."

      "Of course Celene," he says and helps me with the covers as I lie down.

      "Thank you. Tell Damien to come see me when he can. I'd like to see him and thank Marcus. I know he's the reason I didn't suffocate," I say as my lids grow heavier.

      "I will," he says softly as he gives me a small smile.

I fall back asleep before he makes it out of the room.

N/A

Even though I am using pre-written material, it does get hard to continue to write. A lot of this story is from the original but I modified it as I went along. I tend to do this with everything I write. The story will change a lot as you read. My writing tends to do this, so if the story seems a little dry at the beginning, that's why. Sorry. Nothing is ever perfect. I just hope you enjoy it. Thanks!