Chapter 28: This Is Goodbye

Celene

      I smile as I bite my lip and walk back to the house. Damien isn't far behind as I walk inside. Leo is right at the door and he rushes to kiss me.

      "What's with all of the love I'm getting this morning?" I ask as I giggle.

I look into Leo's eyes and see incredible amounts of love and fear. His eyes are soft and warm as always, but I feel like he's saying goodbye.

      I walk past him to Marcus who wraps his arms around me tightly in a warm embrace.

      "I love you, you know. I couldn't wait any longer to tell you," he says softly.

I look into his eyes and see the same thing I saw in Leo's.

      "I love you too Marcus. I'm not going anywhere. You know that right? You'll see me later, I promise," I say as I press my forehead to his.

I turn and look at Owen who has a sad smile on his face.

      "You're an amazing woman Celene. I'm sorry things between us became strained and distant, but I want you to know that I care for you deeply."

He pulls me into a big bear hug.

      "I know you do, Owen. I forgave you last night. Try to forgive yourself," I say as I step back.

I turn and see Damien standing behind me.

      "No. Not you too," I say with sadness in my voice.

      "I'm sorry, but there are some things I need to say. I told you how I felt last night, but I need to explain how I feel every day," he says and takes my hands in his.

      I feel tears well up in my eyes.

      This is goodbye.

      "I knew you were it for me when I saw you on the beach that day. Your beautiful eyes pierced my heart when you looked at me. I've loved you since day one and I will every day to come."

He takes my hand and places it on his chest.

      "My heart beats so hard when I look at you and even harder when you touch me. Just promise me that you'll come back to me after. Please? I need to hear it," he says with tears in his eyes as his voice shakes.

      "I promise Damien... And I love you too," I say as a tear drops from my eye.

I smile at each one of them and walk out the door with Particularum Dis tucked under my arm. The wind blows gently as I walk to the cave. I walk in and light the torches at the back.

     I unroll the velvety cloth holding the bowl, the rock, the feather and the candle. I step outside and fill the bowl with water at the edge of the ocean. I go back inside and lay everything out. I look through the book and read a passage from the fourteenth chapter.

      "Set up the test starting with the feather, then the bowl of water, the rock and then the candle. Since you have given yourself freely to an of age air elementalist, start with the feather and continue from there in order. Remember to concentrate on each task individually. If you do not the consequences will be dire. Be careful and good luck young one."

I take a deep breath and close my eyes.

      When I open them the feather is floating in front of me. I smile and concentrate, making it float back down to the altar. I take another deep breath and stare at the bowl of water. I think about Damien and the water pulls itself from the bowl, reshaping into a ball. It drips as it floats above the bowl. I try to make it take another shape and it turns into a seashell.

      I make it slither back into the bowl and close my eyes as I take another breath. I lick my lips and concentrate on the rock. I knit my brows together and think about how Marcus has always kept me grounded. It moves little by little as I will it to roll around the bowl. After I have decided I've succeeded I start to feel faint.

      I wipe my nose after I feel something wet and look at my fingers. I see blood but I dismiss it and concentrate on lighting the candle. I take a breath and fight through the fuzziness of my sight.

      One last step.

My vision blurs and I hear lightning strike outside the cave. I blink away the fogginess and stare at the candle.

      The cave shakes with the rumble of thunder as the wick starts to smoke. I concentrate even harder and feel my skin start to burn. I look down at my hands and arms as purple electricity sparks up through my skin.

      I can do this. I will do this.

I stare at the candle, but I hear Damien's voice.

      "She's going to kill herself if you don't let me stop her! Please?!"

       "Damien?" I ask.

      "Celene?! I can hear her Marcus! Please, don't do this! You love her too! How can you stop me?! Why aren't you trying to help me?! Celene?!" he begs.

I look away from the candle and think about Damien and the fire he causes within me.

      I scream as lightning bursts through my chest, scorching my skin.

      "Celene?! You heard her scream! Let me go to her! She's dying! Celene?!"

My sight darkens at the edges and I collapse to my knees. A few feet away I see Damien. My body burns as I scream. His screaming face as Owen and Marcus hold him back and the horror in Leo's eyes as he falls to his knees. Damien lunges forward, breaking free of Marcus and Owen as Leo screams. My world goes black as I fall to the side.

       The glowing door stands in front of me again. I reach out to open it and I hesitate.

      If I open this door and walk through then that means I'm dead.

My fingers grasp the handle and I close my eyes. I take a breath and open it, walking through slowly the door closes behind me.