Helping the Tooth Fairy

Angela's P.O.V.

I held Daisy's lifeless body in my lap. My tears soaked her fur. Her body was still slightly warm, but her breathing had stopped an hour ago. She had been my only friend. She had kept me going these past four years. She had been my little guardian angel. Now, she was gone and I was alone. I sniffed and buried my head in her white fur. Why did she have to die? Why couldn't I have just waited until the Nightmares had finished their patrol? This was all my fault.

The scene of Pitch violently kicking Daisy replayed over and over in my mind. It was like my consciousness was trying to punish me. I cried harder and pounded my fist on the ground. I pulled at my hair and screamed out into the night. I gently set Daisy on the ground and ran to the window. I opened it and shouted, "This is all your fault Pitch! One day, you're going to regret taking over Burgess! You have tortured us for the last time! Soon, the Guardians will come back and beat you to a bloody pulp! I hate you!"

I knew that the people of Burgess heard me, but I didn't care. I wanted to give them hope. I wanted them to look forward to sunny skies again. But most of all, I wanted to let Pitch know that I wouldn't go down without a fight. He had made a bold move, but that wouldn't stop me from taking him down. I laid my head on the windowsill and looked at the clouds. I haven't seen stars in 4 long years. Pitch had covered them up with his black Nightmare clouds. It was dark all day and dark all night. It was a living hell.

Tears still fell from my eyes, but I didn't feel as sad anymore. I knew that Daisy wouldn't want me to be sad all the time. She would want me to keep fighting and honor her life. I looked back at her body and made my decision. I wrapped her up in her fuzzy, warm blanket and took her outside. I grabbed a shovel on the way out. I opened the back door and stepped out into my backyard. I dug a small, rectangular hole and set Daisy inside. I also put two of her toys and pictures of my mom and dad in there too. I smiled at my work and pet Daisy one last time. I filled the hole back up and kneeled next to it. "I will always love you, Daisy. You are in a much better place now. I hope you'll be proud of me when I defeat Pitch. Mom and Dad, I know you're up there too. I never discovered how you died, but I hope it wasn't a big struggle. I miss you all and I hope you're happy up there. I miss you."

I sobbed openly and put my hands on the grave. I felt sadness and anger overcome all of my senses. I didn't pay any attention to the world around me. All I did was mourn my dog and my parents. I was truly alone now. I didn't have anybody to love or care for me. I covered my face with my hands and cried. Suddenly, I heard a stick crack behind me. Oh no! I thought, Pitch found me! I quickly stood up and whirled around. I closed my eyes and put up my hands in surrender. "Please Pitch, I didn't do anything wrong. I'm just mourning my loved ones. Please don't hurt me."

"Oh sweetie, I won't hurt you. You can open your eyes." That wasn't Pitch's voice. It wasn't even male! I opened one eye and saw none other than the Tooth Fairy looking at me with a sad frown. I gasped and slowly put my hands down. I stared at her with an awed expression. Why was she here? Wasn't she trapped in Pitch's clutches? Does this mean that the Guardians are back? But my awe quickly turned into anger. I clenched my fists and frowned at her.

"You see this grave?" I pointed to the pile of dirt next to me. She nodded, obviously confused. "My dead dog and parents are down there. Do you know how they died?" Toothiana just looked down at the ground in shame. "Answer the question!"

"Pitch?" She looked back up at me with tears in her eyes. I nodded, "Pitch killed my parents, even though I don't know how he did it. He kicked my dog so hard that she slammed against the wall and died! Pitch did all of this, but I only partly blame him. Pitch wouldn't even be here if you hadn't taken that deal. You imprisoned us, you made this place a living hell, and you brought Pitch into power! I thought you guys were supposed to be the embodiment of happiness and hope, but I was wrong. You made a terrible mistake!"