Escape

Angela's P.O.V.

Tooth and I kept to the shadows and pressed our backs against the walls of houses and buildings. We were getting very close to the forest, which meant closer to Pitch and the Guardians. I heard the nervous drumming of my heart and felt a fluttery feeling in my stomach. I was nervous, there was no denying it. I had never been nervous in a while, even when I was scavenging for food. I had always kept myself hidden and been careful.

I had never gotten caught once, except for now. I never expected to rescue the Guardians with the Tooth Fairy, especially after what they did. I don't even know why I still believe in them. Maybe it was because I was still a child at heart, or maybe it was because I never wanted to lose hope. Well, whatever it was, my belief is what's keeping them alive and they need my help. I never noticed we had reached the hole until Tooth spoke. "Angela, we're here."

I looked through the deep hole. This was the entrance to Pitch's lair. Well, at least one of them. This one was a cave that led to his lair. It looked like the gateway to the underworld. I did not want to go through there, but I knew that a person was injured and in need of help. I took a deep breath and looked at Tooth, "Alright, let's do this."

We stepped in and began the long walk through the dark tunnel. I stayed silent and tried to walk quietly. I knew what was in here. Toothiana had told me. I looked up at the ceiling of the cave, where the guards hung. Pitch had made Nightmare bats watch over the cave. Luckily, they slept almost all the time and were blind, but if you made one wrong step, then you are done for. We both tried to tamp down our fear because, like the horses, these bats could smell fear as well.

I pulled the wagon along with me as silently as I could. I had oiled the wheels before we left to make sure it didn't squeak. The cave wasn't very long, but it felt like ages before we finally made it to the end. We stood at the edge of the end of the tunnel and stared at the scene before us. There were tons of black cages hanging from the ceiling. A throne stood in the middle of the huge room with a globe just a few paces to the left of it. The globe only had five golden lights shining on it. I felt a small pang of pride to know that one of those lights was me.

"Where are the dungeons?" I whispered.

"They're just over there." She pointed to a door on the right wall of the lair.

I smiled, "then this should be easy."

Tooth frowned, "Wait, where's Pitch? When I snuck out, he was checking his globe with his back facing me." I looked around for any sign of the tall, slender man, but he was nowhere to be found. I didn't see Onyx anywhere either.

"Maybe he's in his room." Tooth suggested, which made me very confused.

"He has his room? That's odd."

"Yeah, he has a big bed, bedside tables, and even a whole bathroom!"

I narrowed my eyes, "How do you know all this?"

Tooth hung her head, "I would rather not talk about it." I furrowed my brow, she must've been lured there by Pitch. Ugh, that pervert! Just then, we heard a clip-clop of hooves on stone. We both shot our heads up and saw Onyx, patrolling the area. We ducked down and watched to see what she was doing. She sniffed her master's throne and laid down beside it. Tooth and I both looked at each other with confusion. Pitch must be out of the lair and left Onyx in charge. I signaled to her that we needed to get going.