The Truth Comes Out

Tooth's P.O.V

I watched Angela run upstairs and slam the door on us. I winced and looked back at my friends. They all had sympathetic looks on their faces, even Jack. I opened the first aid kit and knelt next to Jack. He was covering his wound with one hand. His breathing was a bit shallow and he was shivering. I put the back of my hand against his forehead and frowned. Yeah, he had a fever.

"Jack, I'm going to have to take off your sweatshirt and apply medicine to your wound. It's going to hurt, but it will help." He nodded his head and tried to sit up a little more. I pulled the blue clothing over his head and took his arms out of the sleeves. He grunted and yelled in pain. I held back a gasp of surprise when I saw his muscular form. His biceps, pectorals, and abs were clearly defined, but they weren't bulging or anything. I blushed when I realized I was looking at his chest a bit too long,

I pulled out the bandages and the bottle of hydrogen peroxide that was in there. There was also some sort of ointment that I knew was to help treat cuts, so I got that out as well. North gave me a rag that he had found stashed in a cabinet nearby. "North, can you hold him down while I pour this on him?" He nodded his head and held his arms down. I grasped his hand and looked at him straight in the eyes, "I'm sorry Jack, but this is gonna hurt."

I poured the hydrogen peroxide on his wound. Jack widened his eyes and screamed at the top of his lungs! Tears poured out of his icy blue eyes. He tried to struggle, but North held his arms down. The liquid bubbled, indicating that infection had started to seep in. I dabbed at the wound and spread the cream into it. I held back my tears at the cries of the winter spirit. I didn't like seeing him like this. It just broke my heart. North lifted his shoulders off the ground a bit as I wrapped bandages around his middle. Jack's yells had calmed down, but he was still whimpering.

When North set him down, I washed my hands and then returned to his side. I picked up his hoodie and started to clean it. I rubbed the corner of my eye, pretending that I had an itch when really, tears were threatening to spill over. I suddenly felt a cold hand on my wrist. I looked over at Jack, who had a small smile on his face. "Thank you, Tooth. You saved my life." I blushed but returned his smile.

"I can't take all the credit. Angela planned the whole rescue. She's the real hero." I went back to cleaning his sweatshirt, but he moved his hand to hold mine. I tensed but didn't dare look at him. I knew what he was going to say.

"Tooth, you can't blame yourself for her anger. She just needs time." I furrowed my brow.

"Jack you don't understand! This is all our fault! We failed Burgess and we failed the children. They expected us to defeat Pitch, but we gave ourselves up instead! We let Pitch take over the world and I let him hurt you!" I stopped my rant and opened my mouth to say more, but no words came. I felt hot tears going down my cheeks. I realized that what I had said was true. I had let Pitch hurt Jack. I was helpless as he forced the blade into his stomach. I could do nothing. I felt a hand cup my cheek and I snapped out of my trance.

Jack had his hand on my cheek. He was looking me in the eyes with as much seriousness as he could muster. "Tooth, listen to me. Pitch hurting me was not your fault. We were all locked up in cages, so there was nothing anyone could've done. It's just when I saw him about to kiss you, I felt the need to protect you. You deserve so much better than that slimeball. I didn't want him to hurt you."

A rush of warmth filled my body and I blushed a scarlet red. His words struck my heart like Cupid's arrow. I wiped my tears away and grinned at him. "Thanks, Jack." I sat against the wall next to him and put my head on his shoulder. He laid his head on top of mine. I felt exhaustion set in, so I closed my eyes. But as soon as I closed them, I heard a scream from upstairs. I jumped with a start and looked at Jack. We were thinking the same thing, Angela.