The Many Faces of Chris

During work I kept glancing at Lindsay or Trevor or Chris or Xian, whatever she is called. But she does not seem to recall our conversation this morning and she never faltered or start to be overly conscious with the way I stared at her. She continued to be her flirty self like nothing happened.

I stared blankly on the screen of my laptop while working on my assigned design during the night. I brought the project home to ensure that I get to pass it on time but what happened during the day just left me unable to squeeze some creative juices from my brain. I was so baffled with what "Trevor" just told me. I had to look this dissociative identity disorder thing up just to get a little bit of sense from what I just learned.

As I was browsing through the internet hoping to understand what DID is, I was interrupted by a loud knock on my door, so I stood up and looked through the peephole to see who it was.

I opened the door upon learning it was Chris, although, it didn't seem like she was Chris as she was smiling, and she seemed to be oozing with confidence. The Chris, I know from the few times I have met her, seems to be unable to smile and is always afraid.

"Hi, I am Xian, we've met on several occasions" she casually said without losing the smile on her face.

"May I come in?"

"Uh... sure...sure. Ah...Make yourself at home" I tried to reciprocate her smile.

"Don't mind if I do" She walked all the way to the sofa holding her head up high and sat down confidently without losing that smile of hers.

As I sat down on a chair next to the sofa "Xian" started to explain.

"You have been informed by Trevor regarding our predicaments, I am told. And by now, from the looks of it, you have searched about DID" he looked at me straight in the eye after seeing what was on the screen of my laptop.

I nodded, unable to speak and trying my hardest to maintain eye contact.

"Chris was abducted when she about five or six years old. The perpetrator molested and abused her which led to her having severe trauma with that experience. This led to her being unable to have a solid personality that's why her head created us; her alters, fragments of who she is" Xian began.

"Trevor thinks it would be a good idea for us to let you in so that Chris won't bottle up all the trauma to herself. You seemed like a nice and justified girl so he thinks that you will understand and perhaps even help Chris resolve all or at least some of her issues"

I listened attentively, trying to digest all the information coming out his mouth.

Xian started to tell me the series of events that transpired in Chris' life and on occasion I felt the need to empathize and at times tears would flow out my eyes uncontrollably that he had to stop and give me some tissues from the tissue box I have placed on my coffee table.

As it turned out, after Chris was rescued, none of the psychologists were able to help her that she started to manifest alternate identities to cope up, and because of this, she was clinically diagnosed to have dissociative identity disorder.