That Sense of Detachment

One night, while I was hanging out with Chris on her flat, I noticed a bruise on her neck when she tried to reach out for the tv remote. I asked her if Max ever fronted and she dismissed me casually saying that she just got clumsy and fell from her bed headfirst. I have been so sure of myself that I can already tell when something is wrong through Chris' reactions, the girl does not seem to know how to lie, so I shrugged it off my mind.

The next day, I had to do some overtime work at the office because I needed to do some final touches for my design, we are about to present it tomorrow and I wanted to make sure that everything is perfect. I also prepared the meeting area, I made sure that the architectural scale model is in a good place to impress the clients. I made sure that the lighting is perfect. I made sure that the projector is ready for our graphic slides as well. Only when I was satisfied did I pack my bags and went home.

As I was climbing the second flight of stairs, I heard some noises coming from Chris' flat, but the lights are off, no one seems to be at home. I knocked on the door just to be sure.

"Chris?"

"Are you there? It's me, Claire"

I was a bit nervous as I tried to inquire but no one answered. Normally, whenever I visit Chris, Xian would switch on and open the door for me but right now, not even a single soul is present.

I tried to call out again since I did hear some noises. Still no answer...

Then I heard a cat's meow. I must be mistaken; it could just be a cat, so I let it go and went to my flat instead.

In the morning, no Xian was waiting for me outside my door. It is a bit odd but then again there were really times that Xian does not show up especially when me and Chris had a great time the night before, so I just brushed it off. By the time I arrive at the office, I was welcomed with sounds of commotion from my workmates. 

 Apparently, Lindsay filed for emergency sick leave. They said she was coming with a flu and left to go to her grandparents' house. Her CEO father approved it on such short notice despite knowing that it can jeopardize todays presentation. I started to worry, something must have happened last night enough for Chris or any of her alters not to notify me.

I volunteered to take over Lindsay's part of the presentation since I am familiar with it, good thing we have discussed it a few times when she is fronting for Chris.

Success!!! We got the deal, but I felt my happiness is half-hearted when it came to celebrating, their absence worries me.

It has been a month since my next-door neighbor left abruptly to her grandparents' house. I kept glancing on her flat whenever I go to work, today is the same thing, the place was barren. With heavy heart I just continued to walk, I have to keep my spirits up, I just got regularized for good performance and we have a new client so I cannot let my feelings affect me.

While I was walking towards my workstation, Lindsay was already on hers taking pictures of whatever is on her desk and flirting with the male employees. A breath of fresh air I must say. I wanted to talk to her, ask her what happened why she had to leave... talk to Xian...

I had to find a way to speak to her despite our busy schedule today.

I got my chance when I met her in the ladies' room.

Lindsay was generously dabbing her red lipstick on her already red lips in front of the mirror when I went inside. I waited for others to get out before I approached her.

"Hey Lindsay, how's it going? I've missed you" I gave out my best smile to her.

She looked at me straight in the eye and blurted sarcastically "Miss me? Really now. You must have meant you miss your Xian"

I was confused with her answer "Huh?"

She sighed and let out a monosyllabic laugh "Don't act dumb in front of me, it is so disgusting. Talk to your beloved Xian instead okay?" and with that she walked away hitting my shoulder on her way out.

I was so confused, what just happened? Why was Lindsay giving me the cold shoulder suddenly? What have I done to deserve such treatment?

For the rest of the day at work, Lindsay kept on eluding my stares. She has been ignoring me, she doesn't even reply to my personal chat messages or even react to my responses on our group chat like she usually does.

When I reach my apartment, I knocked on Chris' door hoping to find some answers regarding Lindsay behavior.

"Chris? Wanna hang out?" you can really sense the nervousness in my voice afraid I might be rejected.

Chris slightly opened the door and said in a monotonous voice. "Sorry Claire, can I take a raincheck? I am not in the mood right now, maybe I am too tired from the travel"

This time I sensed her lies. I figured maybe I needed to give her some space, so I just nodded then went to my flat.