It was Because of Me

Two months after the incident, Chris was finally allowed to go home. Her father provided financial support to get her flat fixed and I helped her settle down. You can never tell that a bad event ever happened in her flat, everything is the way they were giving her a sense of familiarity to the place. Her father also withdrew her from her internship so she can rest properly.

I made sure that I am always around her after work she also goes to her parent's house in the morning. At times, I would catch her iris changing colors which gave me an assurance that she is not alone despite of the fact that her alter didn't talk to me anymore.

One weekend, after I woke up and prepared myself to go to Chris' flat, I heard a subtle knock on my door. It was Chris smiling...no...it was Trevor.

"It has been a while Claire" He said while still smiling when I opened the door for him to come in.

He sat on the armchair maintaining his poise.

He began to talk when I settled myself on the sofa.

"You know Claire, I had real high hopes when I suggested that you get involved. I just didn't expect that you'd fall in love with Xian. It is something that I have overlooked and it's my bad things happened this way"

I wish I could wipe away that mocking smile of his. In the end, no words came out of my mouth. I cannot deny it... I was in love with Xian.

I completely surrendered and listened to Trevor as he explained why Max was running havoc and became out of control.

As it turned out, Xian has been neglecting his duties as a protector in their inner world because he is often fronting just to spend time with me. This gave Max plenty of opportunity to come out and hurt Claire.

Trevor told me that Chris being raped by the person Max is representing is just the tip of the iceberg. Chris trusted that man and for him to do such dreadful things to her made her loose her trust on humanity. Trevor thought that with me around, Chris might be able to gain some of that trust but as I got so involved with Xian, Chris felt that I only befriended her so that I can be with Xian.

I never planned on falling for Xian, I have always been sincere as her friend, but I guess my intentions were clouded by my feelings and Chris saw this.

I wanted to apologize but I felt I have nothing to apologize for. You don't choose who you fall in love with, it just happened.

Trevor did not wait for me to respond and just stood up and left.

I sat for a while and thought of something. There must be a way for me to let Chris know that I exist in her life and not just Xian's. I must find a way to get Chris to trust people once again but how?