Part forty-six

^^ picture reference for this chapter

"As these memories lose their meaning, When I
think of love as something new."

"I know I'll often stop and think about them,"

"In my life, I'll love you more."

Magnolia

-- -

  I lulled in and out of a fuzzy deep sleep, rocking in tranquility with the hum of his car. The warm blanket draped over me sucked my conscience in, holding me captive in dotted dreams. A spiraling of faded colors, the tune of a familiar beat, and Harry's quiet whistles and drowned out chatter with Niall. Almost unheard with my half-lucidness and the fact he was trying his best to be not to interrupt my sleep.

I feel a cold pressure on my cheek, fluttering my eyes open. With the realization, I was leaning against the freezing window I awoke more. Adjusting to the falling flurries outside, they were scarce. Not blizzard-kind like last night, few and far between.

"Sunshine's awake," Harry remarks, I peel my face from the glass, gifting him an exhausted smile. Gazing back at Niall who was stuffed in between ski gear, it looked highly uncomfortable from here. Though he seemed to be coping.

"You're a really quiet sleeper, right Harry?" He chokes out a breath of surprise in reaction to Niall's words. Who was being cheeky and he knew it, saying something innocent on the surface but had a deeper meaning. I can't help but grin at his words, shooting glancing at Harry who was outwardly flustered.

He clears his throat, adjusting his hands on the steering wheel. "Wish I could say the same for you Nialler, you snore like a mountain." Niall agrees with him, nodding at me with an amused face plastered. Rightfully rolling his blue eyes at Harry from behind and shrugging his shoulders.

"Where are we?" I stretch my limbs, tracing my groggy eyes at the surrounding. Big snowy trees cornered us, a road of cakey thick ice to go partner with it. "Louis gave us directions, I think to his ski lodge. He said to meet there before we head to the slopes; to change." Harry chatted, his voice didn't sound very amused with the words. Considering things I'm sure he wasn't pleased that we were going to have to be around Louis. Even though he knew that was exactly what today entailed. I just hoped he'd stay on his best behavior.

"Are you excited?" Niall beams with a ton of energy. A big comforting smile to go along with his happy tone. "Yeah I just have to be cautious, my coach will murder me if I get injured." He raises his eyebrows at me, scoffing in a way to say it was no big deal. Quite honestly I wasn't worried about getting hurt on the slopes, and if it did happen maybe it would give me a much-needed break. But let's be real if I got injured my coach would still make me practice, to the extent that if I was in a fucking neck brace I'd be on that ice.

"Don't worry, Niall is a whore for safety precautions. He gets off on that stuff." He sighs willfully in response, taking in his words. They always found a way to make me feel better, even if I was trying hard not to drown in my thoughts. Like the both of them could sense the fact my father's words were plaguing my mind though neither had zero clue.

I hadn't told Harry yet, not a single syllable about the fact I wasn't staying with them. I figured he'd ask me why I was sleeping at Indie's and then I'd have to tell him - but he didn't - not even a shed of curiosity came through. I wondered if it was just because he was being respectful or that he actually didn't think something was wrong. Either way, it was hard concealing the fact my insides were crashing down, those words, as much as I tried to shield myself from them, were chipping at me like old paint. Putting my heart through several settings of a meat grinder.