Prologue

A/N-

Hello! :)

So, this is it! The final book in the trilogy!

I have a couple of things to say:

There are two books before this one- In His Shadow and Darker Shadows (in that order). You can find these on my profile, if you would like to read them. :)

Also, J.K Rowling owns everything in this! All I own is Ava Potter and any changes that I have made to the storyline.

And- with that- I shall leave you to read on!

I hope that you all enjoy! :)

Prologue

Fear.

That was always the last thing I felt before I went to sleep. It was fear of the nightmares that would come the moment my eyes slid shut.

The nightmares had been inspired by Fenrir Greyback's words to me on the top of the Astronomy Tower as blood had dripped down his chin and he had waved his yellow fingernails at me.

What a good spy you would make.

A spy- a spy for the Death Eaters. I questioned why Fenrir thought that I would become a good one. I was terrified of his words- I would never want to fight for them.

So why did I dream about it every night?

Darkness. Darkness was all I could see. That and the smoke billowing from the building nearby.

I had to get away- I had been told that there was a risk of being seen, but in the panic of the moment as the Death Eaters had burnt the building down, I had entirely lost my bearings.

How was I going to get away?

I could hear the screams of the people around, and some of those who were trying to help. They sounded terrified- and as they realised that there were people missing, they began to shout each other's names, desperate to know if their loved ones were safe.

"Andrew!" I heard a woman scream, sobs racking through her body as she searched.

She began to scream again, and I turned towards the burning building, wondering if it was too late to help her find Andrew.

Before I could take another step towards her, I felt a hand close around my wrist. I turned around, and I sighed with relief when I saw the familiar pale face, green eyes and blond hair.

"I thought you'd been caught!" Draco shook his head, "Come, quickly. Alecto said we must take the prisoners away as fast as we can- we can't be seen."

I didn't move, my eyes tracing the details of Draco's face.

"Ava! What are you waiting for?"

I blinked and turned away from him, "Sorry. We better go."
We began to run, our footsteps thudding against the dry mud of the path.

"Hey!" Someone called out from behind us.

I turned my head for a single second and saw a figure chasing after us. I reached out and grabbed Draco's hand, pulling him behind a pile of rubble. We both ducked down and I squeezed my eyes shut as I heard the footsteps of someone running towards us. I held my breath, and Draco's grip on my hand tightened considerably.

My whole body relaxed as the footsteps moved away from us, instead going in the other direction. I waited until I was sure that the person had gone before I sighed with relief, taking deep breaths to compose myself.

I could feel that my face was covered in ash, and my hair was badly knotted at the bottom. It didn't matter though- we were alive.

"They're going to assume we're dead if we don't get back in time. Come on."

I started to stand up, "I need to get back to the Burrow before sunrise. If they notice I'm gone, my whole cover will be-"

I was cut off as a sharp pain travelled down my forearm, causing me to cry out in pain. Draco groaned as well and looked up at me, his eyes growing wide.

Clenching my jaw, I began to pull my sleeve up.

It was a dark night, but that did not stop me from seeing the relatively new mark on my forearm- the mark that Draco had also revealed from underneath his sleeve. The mark of the Death Eaters.

The Dark Mark.