Chapter 48- Safe And Happy

"It's so good to see you!" Lolly says engulfing me in a hug from behind the bar, "We all went to see you earlier and you were amazing!" She sings into my ear

"It's so good to see you!" Lolly says engulfing me in a hug from behind the bar, "We all went to see you earlier and you were amazing!" She sings into my ear. We'd all congregated at Nicki's after the show, its usually what happens during pride, except the past few years I've always been working and tonight I actually get to enjoy the party aspect rather than just observe It.

"Right, shots!" Sammy announces sauntering over to us with a tray, "Let's take these over there," he points to a reserved booth at the edge of the dance floor, "Because my feet are killing me!" he snickers looking down at the six-inch heels that are attached to his feet.

He dances through the sweaty bodies crowding the dance floor, Colton follows weaving a path for us, he pulls me behind him with my hand glued to his so I don't get swept into the crowd. We all crowd into a booth, pilling on top of each other... or rather me ontop of Colton. He pulled me onto his lap and I didn't protest.

" TO GETTING WASTED!" Sofia says as everyone picks up a shot and throws it down their necks, I watch their faces grimace as the green liquid burns their throats. Sometimes I do wonder what alcohol's like, I see everyone else drinking and I want to join in too. It does make me feel isolated at social events and I consider trying it, picking up a small glass and knocking it down my neck... but then I remember what alcohol does and how it's destroyed so much in my life. The threatening consequences it has and the damage its caused, I always wonder if addiction issues are genetic... it's a fear that gnaws away at me every time I'm around alcohol.

"What's up, babe?" Colton squeezes my waist as my body flutters at his term of endearment, his creased brows bring me out of my overthinking.

"Nothing, I'm good." I smile at him and I actually mean it, I don't need alcohol when he's next to me because he never makes me feel isolated.

A few rounds later I can feel myself getting drowsy, I'm fucking exhausted and just looking at Sofia out on the dance floor makes me want my bed even more. I'm slouched over the table with Jacob making out beside me, Sammy slut dropping in front of me and Sofia and Nicki grinding on some guy to the left of me.

Colton and Will are over at the bar chatting with what looks like fans, they all grapple at him and swoon over him. A pang of jealousy shoots through me, all I want to do is go over there and kiss him right in front of everyone but I'm not going to be a phsyco girlfriend who doesn't trust her man.

Well, not... girlfriend... whatever we are I guess?

He seems slightly distant, trying to hold them at arm's length but when his eyes find mine he smiles warmly and reassuringly at me. Politely he excuses himself and walks back over to the table pulling my body into his side as he plops down next to me. I drearily rest my head on his shoulder, listing to the mummers of his voice making conversation with the others around our table. Eventually, everyone's up dancing and its just us in the booth.