Chapter 1 : The Dream

Above is Kat

Above is Kat.

 I stood frozen to the ground and my feet wouldn't move. My mother's hand felt like it was growing colder by the second but I couldn't let go of her hand if I did... it would be the last time i could feel her fingers entwined with mine.

All I could do was look at her face in a trance it felt like the sound of the heart monitor was fading into the abliss. The only sound that brought me back was the sound of my Father begging and crying for my mother to come back.

I looked to the left side of my mother's lifeless body and my father was on his knees holding onto the rail of the bed. " Lura please just open your eyes please honey don't leave us! not today please just open your eyes''

I reached out to try to touch my father but no matter how hard i try I can't reach him. I open my mouth but nothing comes out and my body is frozen.

"Kat! Kat! wake up." Opening my eyes I look around to find Vera

Ah Vera, she's like a sister to me. We have known each other our whole lives grew up together and even followed the same career path. We both work at Boston Children's hospital which is currently the number 1 Children's hospital in America. Vera works on the same floor I do . We are opposite shifts which works out because we give each other updates about our patients.

"Shit!" I jump out of bed nearly knocking Vera over.

"What time is it?" If Vera is home that means her shift is over and I'm late. Crap i have never been late in my 5 years working at the hospital.

"Relax Kat I had a late break and I figured I would make sure you were up since you weren't answering my calls" Vera sits on the side of my bed eyeing my body up and down before giving me an evil grin.

" You know if you wanted to seduce me all you had to do was ask me nicely and i would love to make you scream my name " trying to hold back her laughter while i look down at my body which is completely naked. Walking over to my closet, grabbing my robe and putting it on all I hear is V laughing.

"oh please V we both know you love men way too much. Plus it's not the first time you have seen me naked so nice try" looking over my shoulder giving her my biggest smile. I glance at the clock and it's 5am.

" That's a pretty late break. You get off at 7" Walking into the bathroom and turning on the shower i look back at her before noticing the look in her eyes. Sadness and something else. What is it? I can normally read her like an open book but something doesn't feel right.

" V. What happened at work?" I walk back out to my room and sit beside her. I grab her hand and place my other hand under her chin making her look at me. " V what happened?"

It's hard to not be affected by our job. It's not just a job, it's our way of life. Neither of us have any siblings; both of her parents passed away when she was 18 while my father has managed to distance himself from me altogether. I understand why I look identical to my mother. Everything about me even down to my voice reminds him of her. All we have is each other and the children at work are like family to us. It's hard when we see them coming back being admitted time after time.

Vera shifts her body so she's sitting in front of me with her legs crossed. " Kat" She takes a deep breath before speaking again " its alex... "