Chapter 26: That time

Today is the 17th and both Vera and Alex have appointments today. Vera has her baby appointment first then we head to the alexs check up.

"How are things between you and Eric?" Vera is being extra nosey since tomorrow is the day I'm supposed to start my period.

"Fine," I snapped at her while she sat up on the exam table waiting for the doctor to come in.

Alex is sitting beside me occupied on her phone.

Eric and I have been great the past week. Things feel normal between us Like a normal couple until he brought something up last night. My mind instantly goes back to the conversation between us last night.

We were laying in bed cuddling after another amazing shower sex session. I put my head on my hand looked at him

"What's wrong? He has been quite ever since I mentioned getting another pack of condoms since we were running low.

"You should be starting soon" he lays his head back on his pillow and closes his eyes.

" Really my period is on your mind after having sex?" I let out a frustrated sigh.

His mind is literally all over the place when it comes to my period.

"I'm just saying it should start soon. Are you feeling any symptoms" He knows im irritated so he doesn't open his eyes to look at me. He just keeps rubbing my back as he speaks.

" It depends on what kind of symptoms you're asking about. Pregnancy symptoms or period symptoms?" I try to relax so I don't bite his head off.

"Both?" His voice is unsure, clearly he knows im irritated.

" I'm bloated and irritated and I have been having cramps all day so can you stop asking me" I have been very irritable lately between him and V. I'm going crazy.

He sits up a little and looks at me. " Those are still symptoms of pregnancy too"

"Seriously!" I didn't mean to shout, I'm just so irritated that we can't even have a conversation

without talking about this.

"I'm sleeping in my room" I get up and grab my clothes and slam the door behind me.

When I woke up in the morning Eric was laying beside me. Half way through the night he came in and apologized.

I sat up and made my way to the bathroom when I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I groaned and sat on the toilet. Yup just like i thought.

Blood.

I started my period. Now they can all back off.

After flushing the toilet and putting a pad on I washed my hands and walked out into the bedroom. Eric was awake and sitting up looking at me. I flashed him a smile and sat beside him

"So guess what?" I'm a little too happy about starting my period and way too happy to share the news with him. He just sat there and raised his eyebrow.

"I started my period" grinning from ear to ear. I kissed him and got up picking out my clothes for the day.

"That's good." his voice says otherwise. He got up and walked away without saying another word.

What the hell was that?

"So did you start your period yet or is it too early?" Vera just sits smiling back at me while she rubs her stomach.

" Yes I did actually this morning."

" that's good right it means no baby is in your oven cooking" Alex who was on her phone starts laughing joining in on our conversation.

" I thought it was good too. Until I told Eric and he said "that's good" all smug and walked away without even saying another word"

The door opened and the doctor came in. Today we get to see if we can see anything or hear a heartbeat and I'm in charge of recording it and sending it to Jake.

As the doctor does the transvaginal ultrasound I get my phone out and record. The uterus looks good and a little bean shows up on the screen. I smile instinaly it may just look like a little bean but it will soon be a fully formed baby.

Soon the doctor moves a little and that's what you hear it. The sound of the little heart beat within. " the fetus looks perfect heart beat is strong at 155 going off of your last period you due date is May 30th" The doctor keeps his eyes on the screen while he talks.

Vera is crying at the sound of the baby's heartbeat and I can't help but cry also.

All of this baby talk made me emotional we cried even harder when the doctor left and cried more in the car on the way to Alex's appointment.

" God you both cry too much if you didn't tell me you started your period I would assume you both were pregnant" alex is clearly annoyed were crying this much.

"It can't be helped. We are all each other. The biggest reason I don't want kids is because it's something I would struggle going through without my mother." V squeezes my hand as I speak.

"You will be in the delivery room with me right. I can't do this without you Kat."

"Of course no matter what I will be there holding your hand" I squeeze her hand back.

We're at Alex's appointment and since getting her gtub she has gained 10 pounds which is great in the amount of them. She's not happy about it but everyone else is.

"Is she still on the unos list for a lung transplant?" I didn't fully think before I asked this but I wanted to know.

The doctor looks at me and then looks at Alex . " she is"

" what's the percentage of her lunch function now?"

The doctor looks back at Alex before speaking " right now her lung function is around 60% she is still on the list it's hard to find a match."

" Yes I'm aware. How long has she been on the list?" I don't know why but when it comes to her health I go into Mama bear mode.

" she's been on the list for about 10 months now and we will call the number provided if she were to find a match" the doctor is clearly annoyed with all my questions but oh well.

" Can I have my number placed on the call list in incase Eric is unable to answer." After 19 minutes of arguing with them to put me on the list they finally do only after finding out where I'm still currently employed at and the fact that I'm her private nurse.

Vera and Jake basically live at Erics they only leave to go home and sleep or work. Eric doesnt care at all; he's even mentioned a few times how the house is too big for just the 4 of us.

I agree the house has around 8 bedrooms his grandfather is on the main floor then Alex has her own space and Eric and I rotate between his room and mine. It's a huge house but it's the one he grew up in.

I go to use the restroom and change my pad but it barely has blood on it, just a little light spotting. I wipe myself and check to see if I'm still bleeding but I'm not. My periods are always light but never this light.

Vera knocks on the door before she comes and looks at me while I take the pad off.

" It was just some light spotting" I say calmly but inside my head is screaming at me. Give it a week before I mentally freak out.

She goes to open her mouth but shuts it fast. She smiles and hands me my phone after I wash my hands.

Its a text message from a coworker asking if I could watch her baby tonight while she works a night shift since her daycare center is not open from 7pm to 7am. I look up and smile at Vera who is already clapping her hands and walking out.

" Time to get some baby practice " she says really loud so the men can hear her. I follow her out and into the living room.