Chapter 20: Protection and Mistakes

Its been a week since Eric and I first had sex. Nothing has changed at all from a work prospective. Alex is doing great, happy and healthy. I go about my work like any other day. I wish I could say the same between me and Eric. Things became awkward again.

After taking a nice dip in the pool the four of us relaxed and watched movies until Vera had to open her big mouth.

"Did you use protection?" Her voice rang out when the movie credits were running along the tv screen. Jake was in the background eating popcorn until he choked and nudged his elbow into Vera's side and Eric just looked at her in shock processing what she was saying. "What I noticed everything but used condoms in her room so unless you took those with you-"

"God V what is wrong with you. I love you I truly do but for once I wish you would process what you say in your mind before it leaves your lips!" Getting up from the couch and grabbing her arm pulling her into the kitchen with me.

"What is wrong with you?" My hands automatically go to my hips. It's not that I was angry at her for asking I was angry at myself because of the answer. No we didn't. We didn't use protection once out of the four times.

"Listen Kat I know I don't have a filter but I just want you to be safe. I'm sorry for saying it in front of the guys" I was used to her word vomit by now. She's always been like this no filter doesn't even think twice before she says the first thing that comes into her mind.

" I know. It's just that it was so awkward and out of the blue. Why would you be looking around my room for condoms anyway? What exactly goes on inside that head of yours" I can't help but laugh while pointing to her forehead.

"I wasn't really looking. I just thought it was odd that you didn't have any wrappers or anything in your trash in the bathroom I meant to ask back in your room but then I gave you your robe to put on and forgot."

Taking a seat at the kitchen island I put my head down and made a loud groaning noise. Taking the hint Vera pulled the seat out beside me and scooted her chair up patting my back.

"You didn't use protection did you" I was expecting judgment in her voice. I just shook my head groaning again.

" No V we didn't. I wasn't even thinking about that and neither was he. It didn't even cross my mind until you asked. I'm so naive" Im not a horny teenager I always had a condom in my purse even with me being a virgin but I got caught up in the moment and had unprotective sex.

"Okay what day are you in your cycle?" Leave it to her to think of that. I dont track my periods; they a short and light only lasting 3 days counting back in my head.

" Today is day 13 in my cycle." I can basically see the gears working in her head before she answers me.

" Well nothing is foolproof but at least it wasn't your most fertile day" She shrugs her shoulders

" From time to time we dont use condoms and I haven't gotten pregnant. Your not that unlucky"

After Jake and Vera went home I went to my room and took a long hot shower, grabbed a cup of hot tea and a fuzzy blanket and sat outside on my balcony. Listening to the sound of the crickets I leaned my head back resting it on the back on the chair.

I heard a knock on the door but felt too lazy to get up "Come in" My voice was low but loud enough for him to hear. He opened the door and came outside sitting beside me.

I opened my eyes looking to my side watching him run his finger through his hair. He let out a big sign of air before looking at me.

" Can we talk? His tone was serious and the pit of my stomach dropped. Nothing good ever came from those three words.

" You're already talking. Whats up? Not waiting to make eye contact, I close my eyes again letting the sound of nature calm my nerves.

"The only person I have been with in the last two years was Emily and she was on the shot so we never used condoms.. I didnt think about using any last night it was a mistake"

I take a sip of my hot tea my eyes are open but I don't make contact with him. Last night was a mistake to him. How am I supposed to take that? Just because we had sex that didn't make us a couple. I got caught up thinking I meant something to him but it was just sex. It didn't mean anything to him.

It was a mistake.

" It was a mistake" My voice breaks a little. " Last night was a mistake"

" That's not what I-"

" No your right it was a mistake it shouldn't have happened. I'm here to take care of Alex not to get caught up in whatever this is" I say softly while moving my finger between us. "It's probably for the best anyway whatever this was wasn't going to last it was just sexual we got it out of our system so now we can move on."

Not wanting to continue the conversation I get up and place my tea on the table and walk into the bathroom closing the door behind me hoping he will get the hint to leave.

It's been a week since that night and he's done his best to stay away. When we get up to start our day he has already left for work. He no longer eats dinner with us, he stays out late and doesn't come home till everyone is asleep. I can hear him every once in a while moving around out in the hall.

Today is no different, it's past 9pm and I just finished cleaning out Alex's extension that attaches to her button for her g tube. Alex is hanging out in the kitchen with me playing on her phone. Nitta and Ben left after dinner and Bill went to bed early. My phone keeps buzzing going crazy but my hands are still elbows deep in sink water.

"Hey Alex can you get that for me? " She walks over to me and pushes the answer button and puts the phone up to my ear.

"Kat are you busy?" Sensing a little bit of panic in Vera's voice I grab a towel and dry off my hands shifting the phone from one ear to another.

"No i'm not what's up?"

"Can you come over please?"Something is wrong. Her voice is shaking and I can hear her dry heave over the phone before she starts puking.

"V? Are you okay?" She doesn't answer. I can still hear her emptying her stomach out into the toilet as she flushes mid vomit. I slip on my shoes and grab my keys that were hanging by the door and motion for Alex to follow behind me.

As I open the door I come face to face with Eric. Any other time I would run the opposite way but instead I push past him and unlock my car

"I'm on my way try to drink some water, Alex hurry up" I call out behind me and she's already hot on my trail. I see Eric watch me as I open the door and close it as Alex gets in.

I don't hang up the phone just incase V needs me to stay on I look back before getting into the car and callout to Eric who is still standing outside the door watching me with confusion.

" We are going over to Vera's something wrong, we will be back later." Without even giving him a chance to reply I jump in and take off almost speeding as I make my way into town. Halfway to the apartment V hangs up but my phone goes off a second later.

" Can you read the text for me please? " Giving Alex my phone she looks over the texts and eyes me. " What's wong?"

"V asked if we could stop by the drug store and get her a pregnancy test."