Chapter 24 - Chandani raat (چاندنی رات)

——

Laiba and Pareesa settled Safiya in her new bedroom now. Laiba did her the favour of opening her hair freeing it of Bobby pins and tying it up in a loose bun herself, and replacing all her jewellery again. Whilst Pareesa corrected her makeup which had gotten messed up due to her crying. Veiling her face again the two women told her what to do, well mainly Pareesa but Laiba also gave her important advice, like make sure to not forget the mu dikhayi.

Safiya had been given these kind of talks since the time the marriage was fixed. She was given several speeches by several women of her family, to let him do what he likes and don't say no. Some of her family had a very backwards thinking and told her things along the lines of 'if you say no angels will curse you' or even worse 'it's haram to deny him', 'he's your mizaaj-e-khuda' etc.
As she was once again reminded by Pareesa and Laiba of her duties she sat silently and nodded along.

Pareesa and laiba left the room and stood outside the door, waiting for a rasm they were looking forward to all day.
"Hanji kithey?" Laiba smiled at Arif walking Bilal to his door.
Arif was instructed to give Bilal the talk, on how to do anything in a correctly manner.

"Chalo beta ji jaib khali karo" Pareesa laughed this time, clicking her fingers in his face.

"Kitney?" Bilal asked calmly.

"Is waqt jaib me jitney bhi hein dedo" laiba responded.

"Nahi Bilal inki chalon me na ana" Arif commented, to tease his wife.

But laiba knew well how to woo him back. She gave him an innocent smile. "Apney hum logo ko chalbaaz samjhrakha hai?" She over-innocently asked.

"Aye balkey dede Bilal"

And laiba grined in victory.

"Lootlatey hein, lootlaytey hein yeh muskura ke, inki chalon se Allah bachaye" Arif smiled at his wife with admiration.

Bilal again rolled his eyes at his cringy brother and bhabi. He was distracted giving them the dirty look, that Pareesa took the opportunity to pick his pocket. She pulled out his wallet and emptied it from cash.

"Appi yeh!" Bilal spoke, shocked at his sister.

"Chal laiba apna kam hogaya" Pareesa squealed and the girls ran of to split the money. Arif too flowed them away.

Bilal opened the door to his room. He walked in and shut the door behind him. He saw a veiled Safiya sat on his bed, he still hadn't seen her face yet. The excitement to see it was at peek now. And he knew he finally could see it now. He marched to the bed and sat down with little space away from her.

"Asalamulaykum" he said, making her aware of his presence.

She acknowledged him with a slight nod, but she didn't feel brave enough to vocally respond. A nervous fear kept building up within her.

Bilal realised he'd have to be the one to take all the first steps and be the ice breaker. Since she was a very shy person and right now she also seemed to look like a very stiff person.

His fingers reached the border of her veil, lifting it up and off her. He gazed at her who looked beautiful to him in all ways. Her ducked head, lowered shiny eyes, and red painted lips.

"Mashallah" he said as he saw her, the wait was worth it.
He said her name "Safiya" and tapped her shoulder to gain her attention. But as soon as he tapped it she jerked his hand away and stood up, off the bed.
He was confused by her reaction and stood up too in front of her. Trying to understand what just happened. He came infront of her and seeing her head ducked to the ground he reached out to her arm.

Intekhaab✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें