Scene 8 - I... I...

Back in the spacecraft, the questioning of the Doctor and Rose begin. Stip holds his gun out at them. The others watch. Brontan has arrived out, and waits by the cabin entrance, leaning on the wall with his arms crossed.

Stip:

Now then, where err... shall we begin? Ah yes. Now, well, erm, your credentials are valid err... enough as we-we-we think they appear to prove to possibly be.

Doctor:

Ugh! You know Rose, I've been in dozens in these centuries over the last nine hundred years or so. And they're all the same. Trigger happy and wanting answers – not that they'll believe a word of what you say.

Stip:

I do believe your story. Well, sort of. Even-even though you have some and, and lots of evidential proof that seems to sort of justifying your story.

Rose:

The psychic paper not work?

Doctor:

Intellect isn't working, Rose. Not the paper.

There is a banging on the door of the ship. It is loud and continues persistently. It scares the people closest to the door.

Scab:

Argh! Gosh. That scared the daylights out of me!

Cole:

Is it Robert's monster friend?

Matella:

No. It is Hope. She has already returned. She is alone. Panicked. Desperate to return to the shuttle. Some phenomenal event has stricken her with terror. Something has happened to Phil. We've got to let her in! Quick!

The crew open the entrance, as Hope scurries in like a rat. She panics, sweats, and pants heavily, almost gasping for air. Once free to enter, she hurries over to the Doctor as he reassures her to calm her down. Rose gets jealous again. The entrance is closed up again.

Brontan:

Hope!

Hope:

Close it! Close it quick!

Sandra:

Hope, what is it? What's happened out there?

Hope:

Captain! We have to get off this planet at once!

Stip:

Yes, but I...I...I... where is Phil?

Hope:

Phil – is dead!

Stip:

Dead?

Hope:

Dead!

Stip:

Oh, well, I,I,I,I... This is a most erm, serious, serious er,er,er,er case of a miscalculation. I-it is not to be expected.

Cole:

Dead? Seems like everything about this planet really is doomed. How?

Hope:

Some octopus thing ate him. It was in this bog and it suddenly just grabbed him and yanked him in with it.

Doctor:

Oh. We need to get out of here, at once. They'll probably know you're here right now.

Stip:

I...I think we can manage these bug-eyed monsters quite easily. With these devices, nothing can harm us.

Hope:

I didn't work on them.

Doctor:

Now my question to the great Captain is why. Why is he so opposed to turning back on his mission when he knows certain doom awaits his entire crew?

Stip:

I,I,I,I think we must investigate this planet immediately. We,we,we,we must go now. All of you will come with me, except erm, well, erm, Matella, Cole, and Scab. You will all stay here.

Cole:

Is that wise not to take Matella with us? I mean she will know if there is danger about.

Rose:

I think we can already tell in here.

Stip:

And wh-what are you insinuating?

Doctor:

Captain Stip, I didn't get a direct answer to my question.

Stip:

Because you won't be getting it, Doctor! I, I am in charge of this err... operation, and I will m-make the decisions here! Especially when I have this! Now, we all move! I want to see-see-see some erm... err... action. Now, let's go.

The Doctor sighs angrily.

Doctor:

Your crew will all end up dead, Captain.

Brontan:

Well what about Roberts?

Stip:

He stays here.

Cole:

Why? He doesn't do anything. You should sack him.

Stip:

Oh, I don't think that's necessary. Now. Come on. Outside! You know where that cargo vessel is!

Hope:

No! You can't go out there! You haven't seen what I have seen out there!

Rose grips the Doctor's hand.

Rose:

We're going to be alright out there, aren't we? I mean...

Doctor:

Rose, we're going to be fine. Just keep holding onto my hand.

Stip:

Come along. Move!

We see outside the craft now. We view the eye perspective of one of the creatures. It hides behind some rocks. The entrance to the ship is opened. The eye blinks grotesquely, squelching, as we see the crew nervously enter out of the ship. It whispers a breath, almost as a quiet roar as it watches the crew leave – and their meal is served.