# 26

{ T W E N T Y - S I X }
- - ⚜ - -

' The Vibhuti's ', situated in the laps of nature,among the beauty of Nainital, was a welcoming house from the open door to the wide hallway. Upon the walls were the photographs of children, so obviously so loved. One could see the childhood of the two girls seen in the pictures. From a girl carrying a small baby to two grown up teenagers. The photographs held memories and even though you may not recognise the laughing faces, they were adorable enough to bring a smile on your face.
The floor was an old-fashioned parquet with a blend of deep homely browns and the walls were the greens of summer gardens meeting a bold white baseboard. Under the lamp-shine it was nature's art, something that soothed right to the soul.

At the left of the fireplace, that was hardly used now, stood a small round tea-table, and upon it a little tea-kettle that had a caricature of a Kumoani woman dressed in the same attire. Surrounding the kettle were tea cups, small enough to fit in the palm of a child.

Mrs. Vibhuti hung the call and put her phone aside on the table. She picked her cup of tea, when her husband interrupted.
" Kon thha?"

" Heer's college friend Inaya. They are planning of some short trip, was just asking for permission." She replied casually, sipping her lemon grass tea.

" And you gave the permission?" Mr. Vibhuti asked, bewildered. His evening tea was definitely ruined.

" Tell me the last time, Heer went on a trip with her friends?" Mrs.Vibhuti narrowed her eyes at her husband.

" Arre abhi pichle hi toh-" He stopped mid-way. Mr.Vibhuti tried to open his mouth to speak, but instead shut it again. He realised that he had never let his daughter, Heer to go on any such events. On the contrary Heer had never asked him herself.

" Bacche bade ho gaye hai. It's high time we should let them be independent." Mrs.Vibhuti spoke softly.

" Par woh ese kabhi ekele gayi nahi hai." Mr.Vibhuti stood up and walked over to the edge of their terrace.
His eyes wandered over to the tall deodar trees. A smile crept on his lips as the memories of Heer flashed infront of him. As a child she loved to watch the squirrels play, to absorb the sweet birdsong as if it were nectar, these were the simple joys she always cherished.

Mrs.Vibhuti let out a sigh before she spoke.
" Veer, you know what hurts more. They have planned it as a surprise for Heer, because our daughter could never build the courage to ask us."

" Par Meera, humne use ese kabhi bahar bheja bhi toh nahi hai."

" Toh ab bhej do. It's never too late Veer." She replied as desperate child.

Smiling at her wife, Mr.Vibhuti took out his phone she dialled the his daughter's number.

- - ✉ - -

Heer put the phone down, a frown creasing on her forehead.

" Something's wrong?" Inaya asked, putting the pasta in her mouth that Armaan had made. He surely was improving on his cooking skills and Inaya was glad that he had appointed her as the jury for his master chef dishes.

" Papa will not be coming to pick me up." She replied. Heer was about to take some of the pasta from the Tupperware container but Inaya smacked her hand away.

" So what, you ain't a kindergarten child that needs to be picked up by her parents once the classes gets over." Aarushi joked.

PEHLI MOHABBATजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें