Chapter Twenty Four - The Fog

We sat there on the grass, just holding one another for a little while longer, until the screech above us made us look up. The fog had cleared around us, but I had still kept it around the forest behind us. It didn't feel right, taking it away.

Shasta was circling above us, before he darted down, and hung on a branch above us. Tae and I just stared at him.

Then Shasta turned his head, looking towards where our family were, before letting out a small sound, that was loud enough for us to hear, and then looked back at us.

I don't know why, but that brought a fresh set of tears from my eyes.

"I can't leave them, Tae" I whispered between breathing harshly in.

"I know you can't. And neither can I" Tae sighed.

I looked up at him, I don't know why but I expected a different answer from him. I know we had the City of Gaia to protect, the soul reason who we are today, but we were nothing without our family.

And knowing that they were alive, because we knew they couldn't kill us, made us want to save them even more. I couldn't even bare to think about the state Tae and I would be in right now if we knew they were dead.

Tae put his hand under my chin, to make me look up at him.

"Remember, give anything you don't want, to me. Don't let that be reason you don't want to cause harm. You did great back there, but this going to be more a lot more than just one person that we both have to take on" he breathed out slowly.

I nodded, "I know"

Tae gave me a little smile, and leant down, putting his lips on mine quickly.

I looked up at Shasta, "don't be mad at us"

The owl just watched us, and then launched himself away from the tree, and started flying back towards the fog.

I pushed out with my mind, and almost panicked a little when I saw no specks in the forest, where we only just were a while ago. I had to close my eyes, and wonder further.

Then I saw them, near to the dirt track. There was a lot of white specks around them, as the six coloured souls I knew well, and were connected to, were all in a line, near the edge fo the dirt track.

We started jogging, and I hoped that they wouldn't get moved because then we would have no chance, I don't think I could spread my mind that far in time to follow them, before we made it back to the car.

"Stay with me, and follow my lead" Tae whispered, as I had to bring the fog around us as we got close enough to be seen by the specks at the edge of the forest. There were around seven of them dotted, protecting the inner circle of ten men. I'm sure there were more of them than that, and I wondered on how many Jin managed to take out, protecting our family.

"The fog is back" we heard a man say, and something clicked before we heard a static response.

"Remember two are still out there. Be careful" we just about heard.

"Let's just hope the Gods of Chaos are the ones we managed to catch" the man muttered.

Tae appeared out of the fog right in front of him, as I opened the wall for him. The man jumped, before aiming the gun right away, before Tae put a hand around his throat. I pulled the soul also, keeping the fog covering around the both of us, as the man slumped to the floor, and I could see the glimmering waves seep around Tae.

I brought our body temperatures right down, since I wondered if they had heat tracer goggles of some sort that I had read about before.

We got to the last one, doing the same routine, and very quickly before any of the others got alerted.