(10) "Sorry But No"

It had been two weeks since her trip she told Sam that she couldn't come back in the time she asked off. He knew something wasn't adding up so he and Nicole stopped by her apartment and when they saw her face. Sam gave her another week off to let some of the bruising go down. 

She still had bruises but she was able to hide them a little better. She was in her office when there was a knock. 

"Come in." She said 

When she looked up she saw Bucky. "Um here. I never got a chance to give you the other half.." he said as he handed her a cheek. 

"Thank you Mr Barnes." She said as she averted her gaze back to her computer. 

"Welcome." He said and walked out. 

As she was leaving that afternoon Natasha stopped her on her way up to the top floor. 

"Hey while you are here. Here this is yours..I know you and him aren't exactly on the best of terms right now. But you are still our friend.." Natasha said 

"A surprise birthday for Buck! March 10th at Peggy and Steve's at 6 casual dress." She read. 

"Oh..um thanks but no. The last place I wanna be is around him." She said 

"I understand. But you are still invited to brunch anytime." Nat said as she hugged her. 

"Thanks.." she said as she walked away. 

Three days later was the night of the party Bucky showed up thinking they all just wanted to hang out.

"Surprise!" They all yelled

"Jesus Christ! What the hell I told you all to stop doing this.." Bucky said yelled as he jumped

"Yeah yeah..no." Sam said as he hugged him. 

Aubrianna was at home sleeping on her couch after falling asleep to Bridget's Jones diary. Bucky had looked around the room cause he knew the girls had gotten close to Aubrie. Sam leaned in his ear. 

"If you honestly thought she would show up you are dumber than I thought. Natasha said she turned down her invite. And said that being around you is the last place she wants to be. And I know this isn't guilt..but whatever it is you need to let it go. You hurt her and used her you know I love you Barnes but what you did was to far.." Sam said in a low tone and tapped his shoulder as he walked away. 

Bucky just rolled his eyes. 

Monday morning rolled around he saw on the time clock that she hadn't clocked in yet. "Jesus Christ how much time off does she need?" He thought. 

He kept trying to call her and she kept hitting ignore. She was laying on a medical exam table while a doctor did a ultrasound. The morning of the celebration party she had a positive pee stick and had told herself to talk to Bucky after the party that is until she found him with Daisy. 

"Okay you are 10 weeks..due in October. Everything looks good.." she said 

"Thanks." She said as she cleaned off her stomach.

When she got to her car she punched her steering wheel. As she was driving through the NYC traffic she saw a office building for lease. While at the light she jotted down the number. For the last two nights she's been thinking about just working on her own as a PR person starting up her own PR firm.

When she got in she quickly picked up her notebook and went to join the department head meeting she was almost late for. Bucky stopped her when it was over. 

"How much time do you need to take off?" He said 

"My personal business is none of your concern. Go screw some one who cares." She said 

"Aubrie.." he said 

"I am still your boss. You will respect when we are in the work space. I get it you hate me everybody fucking hates me. But I don't do love and I sure as hell don't want marriage and family bullshit. So there it is all out there.." he said 

"Great can I go now?" She said as she wiped tears. 

"Aubrie..yeah. It seems like no matter what I say it won't change anything right?" He said as he walked out.